Posted to user@jclouds.apache.org by Cael Jacobs <ca...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/27 13:58:36 UTC

Packet.net DNS/SAN issues?

Hi, all!

I am attempting to use jClouds to interact with Packet.Net, and when I
make a call to

    packetApi.operatingSystemApi().list();

I get a stack trace for a thrown exception:

    java.security.cert.CertificateException: No subject alternative DNS
    name matching api.packet.net found. connecting to GET
    https://api.packet.net/operating-systems HTTP/1.1

I pulled the cert for api.packet.net, which appears to be a PaaS or IaaS
node that is serving dozens of domains, and a Subject Alternative Name
for "api.packet.net" does exist in there along with many others.

I am able to access the same url via curl, from the same machine and
others, and get proper responses, so I know that there's not an
intrinsic error between me and the api server that's preventing me from
reaching it; it seems to me that either jClouds is doing something
squirrelly, or the underlying Java SSL class is not handling the
certificate SANs properly.

Has anyone seen anything like this on packet.net or any other provider?

Thanks,

-Cael

Re: Packet.net DNS/SAN issues?

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.
Looks like the SSL certificate for the API endpoint has a wrong CN? it
seems to have been issued just today

SSL Server Certificate

Issued To

Common Name (CN)u2.shared.global.fastly.net
Organization (O)
Fastly, Inc.
Organizational Unit (OU)
<Not Part Of Certificate>

Issued By

Common Name (CN)
GlobalSign CloudSSL CA - SHA256 - G3
Organization (O)
GlobalSign nv-sa
Organizational Unit (OU)
<Not Part Of Certificate>

Validity Period

Issued On
Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 3:10:09 PM
Expires On
Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 9:14:44 PM

​

The CN should match the endpoint, and it has a different one.
Could you try setting the "Constants#RELAX_HOSTNAME" property [1] to
"true", and see if the problem persists?

It would also be great if you could contact them and ask about the details
of this certificate.

HTH!

I.

[1]