Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi> on 2014/09/17 21:10:42 UTC

Simple question: load balancing spamd

What kind of simple load balancers are you using? I have been using just
DNS multiple address but that does not work any more. Something a *bit*
more intelligent is needed.

--
jarif.bit

Re: Simple question: load balancing spamd

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 09/18/2014 09:58 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>> haproxy is just a small app capable of working as a proxy for http
>> or plain tcp connections. HA.
>
> What are you using for the Bayes database on the distributed compute
> farm?  (Just curious...)

Redis, can't beat it in speed and comfort

Re: Simple question: load balancing spamd

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 18.09.2014 um 21:58 schrieb Bob Proulx:
> Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>> haproxy is just a small app capable of working as a proxy for http
>> or plain tcp connections. HA.
>
> What are you using for the Bayes database on the distributed compute
> farm?  (Just curious...)

something like MySQL is a no-brainer for shared storage
http://www.starbridge.org/spip/spip.php?article15

Re: Simple question: load balancing spamd

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
18.09.2014, 22:58, Bob Proulx kirjoitti:
> Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>> haproxy is just a small app capable of working as a proxy for http
>> or plain tcp connections. HA.
> What are you using for the Bayes database on the distributed compute
> farm?  (Just curious...)
>
> Bob

MySQL /MariaDB 5.5

Re: Simple question: load balancing spamd

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
18.09.2014, 20:15, Alex Regan kirjoitti:

>>> LVS
>>
>> Implemented haproxy. Took 3 minutes to install and configure ;)
>
> So that basically works the same way as LVS, where you set up one
> server to distribute the load across N number of spamassassin systems
> connected to it?
>
> If you set it up in 3 minutes, how about tuning? Is it as flexible?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

It has tuning options, but can't say yet. As LVS seems to be a virtual
Linux distro or so it felt like an overkill for my purposes. haproxy is

Posted by Alex Regan <my...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 09/17/2014 09:10 PM, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> What kind of simple load balancers are you using? I have been using just
> DNS multiple address but that does not work any more. Something a *bit*
> more intelligent is needed.

LVS

Re: Simple question: load balancing spamd

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
17.09.2014, 22:22, Reindl Harald kirjoitti:
> Am 17.09.2014 um 21:10 schrieb Jari Fredriksson:
>> What kind of simple load balancers are you using? I have been using just
>> DNS multiple address but that does not work any more. Something a *bit*
>> more intelligent is needed
> have you considered how to reduce the amount making it
> to SA at all? 3 weeks production turns out that most
> can be rejected by the MTA and so reduce the need
> of load balancing greatly

I do that + postgrey for email receivers that do not really want to
receive spam.
But personally *I* do want them, and I want them classified with spamd.
I collect spam
for SpamAssassin ruleqa corpus.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Subject:        10