Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/02 22:50:55 UTC

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We need to agree on a name.  My own preference is for a boring,
> descriptive name, but I am manifestly not a marketing guy, so won't
> be offended if others want to be more creative.
>
> My suggestion is
>
> MathComponents
>
> Hearkens back to HttpComponents, which has worked pretty well.

I've just started learning modern Greek and Math is Μαθηματικά -
 (Mathematika) - so how about "Apache Mathematika"?

Niall

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 2/3/16 8:58 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> When HttpClient left Commons I believe they took that opportunity to re-architect their code. In the end I think it paid off, but for quite I while lots of folks (myself included) continued using Commons HttpClient because the new version was regarded as immature.  They also wanted to widen their scope a bit so they went from Apache Commons HttpClient to Apache Http Components.
>
> I don’t contribute to or use Apache Math myself, but given my experience with HttpClient I would say that using a name that strays very far from Math would be doing yourselves a disservice.  It is a bit of a stretch to expect people to remember that Commons Math is now Apache Aardvark or some other obscure name when the one you have is pretty much perfect. The only way people will find you is via a link on the Commons home page whereas math.apache.org <http://math.apache.org/> just makes sense & is easy to remember.

Thanks, Ralf.  The point above, made also by Patrick, is what
changed my vote from my initial suggestion "MathComponents" to just
"math."

Phil

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 08:58:19 -0700, Ralph Goers wrote:
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> When HttpClient left Commons I believe they took that opportunity to
> re-architect their code. In the end I think it paid off,

Thanks for mentioning it.
I indeed see the move as a similar opportunity.

> but for quite
> I while lots of folks (myself included) continued using Commons
> HttpClient because the new version was regarded as immature.

That would be fine, I think.
I indirectly suggested as much by saying that people who are
happy with older versions Commons Math don't need to upgrade.
It remains to define a sustainable bug-fixing policy for these
old versions.

> They
> also wanted to widen their scope a bit so they went from Apache
> Commons HttpClient to Apache Http Components.
>
> I don’t contribute to or use Apache Math myself, but given my
> experience with HttpClient I would say that using a name that strays
> very far from Math would be doing yourselves a disservice.  It is a
> bit of a stretch to expect people to remember that Commons Math is
> now
> Apache Aardvark or some other obscure name when the one you have is
> pretty much perfect. The only way people will find you is via a link
> on the Commons home page whereas math.apache.org
> <http://math.apache.org/> just makes sense & is easy to remember.

That's a valid argument, just not the only one.
IMO, a change of name would have been a good opportunity to stress a
change in the development management.
Keeping the same name seems to announce similar "change but no change"
for other issues that have been stagnant for years.  I hope that the
(near) future will prove my fear was not justified.

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.