Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Abrahams <da...@boost-consulting.com> on 2006/04/20 21:35:09 UTC

Patch for Python bindings?

We're having this previously-reported problem building the swig Python
buildings for SVN 1.3.0
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/75007)
and we're reluctant to roll back to an earlier version of SVN.  Can
anyone suggest a patch we can apply to 1.3.0 that will get us around
this problem?

Thanks in advance,
--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: Patch for Python bindings?

Posted by David James <dj...@collab.net>.
On 4/20/06, David Abrahams <da...@boost-consulting.com> wrote:
> We're having this previously-reported problem building the swig Python
> buildings for SVN 1.3.0
> (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/75007)
> and we're reluctant to roll back to an earlier version of SVN.  Can
> anyone suggest a patch we can apply to 1.3.0 that will get us around
> this problem?

(I've cc'd the users@ list, because this question is more appropriate
for the users@ list than the dev@ list)

David, could you provide us with a little bit more information about
how you are building Subversion? Please start from a fresh tarball and
list all the commands you run from there.

I'm guessing you might have run autogen.sh without the release flag,
thus accidentally switching to developer mode without clearing out the
pregenerated release mode headers.  In general, users building from
tarball should never run autogen.sh. I recommend you start from a
fresh tarball and build and configure from scratch without touching
autogen.sh at all.

We should probably patch Subversion so that users who accidentally run
autogen.sh without clearing out the release mode headers get a clear
error message so that they will know how to avoid it. I'd be very
happy to help out if anyone is interested in fixing this.

Cheers,

David

--
David James -- http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~james

Re: Patch for Python bindings?

Posted by David James <dj...@collab.net>.

Posted by David Abrahams <da...@boost-consulting.com>.
"David James" <dj...@collab.net> writes:

> On 4/20/06, David Abrahams <da...@boost-consulting.com> wrote:
>> We're having this previously-reported problem building the swig Python
>> buildings for SVN 1.3.0
>> (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/75007)
>> and we're reluctant to roll back to an earlier version of SVN.  Can
>> anyone suggest a patch we can apply to 1.3.0 that will get us around
>> this problem?
>
> (I've cc'd the users@ list, because this question is more appropriate
> for the users@ list than the dev@ list)
>
> David, could you provide us with a little bit more information about
> how you are building Subversion? Please start from a fresh tarball and
> list all the commands you run from there.

This is from my sysadmin, Andrey Levochkin [andrew-at-stlport.com],
who was doing it:

  Well, I did:

  make clean
  ./configure
  make
  make install
  make swig-py

  and get a lot of errors.

  After opening subversion tarball again everything went smoothly - it
  means that 'make clean' is not working as it should :(

Please email him directly if you have further questions about the
process.

> I'm guessing you might have run autogen.sh without the release flag,
> thus accidentally switching to developer mode without clearing out the
> pregenerated release mode headers.

I seriously doubt Andrey used autogen.sh.

> In general, users building from
> tarball should never run autogen.sh. I recommend you start from a
> fresh tarball and build and configure from scratch without touching
> autogen.sh at all.
>
> We should probably patch Subversion so that users who accidentally run
> autogen.sh without clearing out the release mode headers get a clear
> error message so that they will know how to avoid it. I'd be very
> happy to help out if anyone is interested in fixing this.

I don't think you have to worry about that.  The first thing most
users will do is look for a configure script and try to use that.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting