Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org> on 2019/05/06 08:55:43 UTC

Complete Java 8 support and release next major

Hi!

Now that we have an agreement that jclouds-karaf and jclouds-cli will be
transferred to the Apache Karaf project, I think we are unblocked to
complete the JDK 8 support (initial issue here [1]).

So... let's do that? It should also help unblock several issues we have
about using old versions of some dependencies that require Java 8 now at
least.

I would like to coordinate some effort to merge the JDK8 support and make a
new major release with that as the minimum requirement, along with a bump
to Guava [2,3] and Guice [4], and probably Gson too [5] (I propose to just
be pragmatical and address 3 as proposed int he first comment, just taking
the code we need and copying it).

I think it is time for now and having that shouldn't be a huge effort.

WDYT about prioritizing this, and have a new major with these issues and
without karaf and the CLI?

Cheers!

I.

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/1197
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-1491
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-1333
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-1498
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-1498
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-1166

Re: Complete Java 8 support and release next major

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Complete Java 8 support and release next major

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.
Actually, the list of issues I added to the email above should be what
needs to be done. We can first update and merge the JDK8 PR, and then work
on the other issues to complete them.

It would be great if we could have people championing individual issues so
we can focus :)

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.
Thanks!

Help is highly appreciated. I've already commented on the issues to try to
unblock them.

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi,

+1, Thanks Ignase for your writeup! Since my team is blocked by the gson dependency I will try to  work on  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-1166 .