Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Mark Mzyk <mm...@lulu.com> on 2008/06/03 22:25:44 UTC

Backwards compatability

I have a question concerning the various releases of Thrift.

I'm working on a system that had Thrift installed on it near the end of 2007.  For a new project I'd like to use the newest version of Thrift, but I have been unable to determine if I'll be able to drop the newest version of Thrift on the system without upsetting the code that currently uses the older version of Thrift.

Can I upgrade Thrift without any consequences, or is there something I should be aware of?

- Mark M.

Re: Backwards compatability

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
There have been some pretty significant internal changes to Thrift,
so, at the very least, you will need to rebuild all the programs
that are using it, and probably re-run the code generator.

However, there have not been any changes to the wire protocol, so
programs running the old and new versions should be able to
communicate just fine.

--David