Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mark Claassen <ma...@donnell.com> on 2001/09/04 18:06:29 UTC

Printing

I have been in conversation with P. Race at Sun about some of the prining
issues with Java for some time.  In a recent letter, he said that
font.deriveFont() (in 1.4 beta2) will not render the fonts as printer fonts,
causes large spool file sizes.  Instead he said to scale the whole graphics
object to get the fonts to work correctly.

I have posted items here regarding this issue before and know that there is
some attention given to this issue, but don't know how much.  Has anyone
tried printing from Batik with simple, yet non-standard font sizes?  What we
are specifically trying to do is specify the pitch of a font.  We can do
this by scaling, spacing, or whatever, just so long as we can force a font
to a certain pitch.

Is there a way to get around the print issues?  If not, is this an important
part of Batik?  It is uncertain whether or not Sun will decide this is a big
enough issue to fix for 1.4 FCS or not.

Mark Claassen
Donnell Systems, Inc.
300 S. St. Louis Blvd. Ste. 203