Posted to muse-user@ws.apache.org by Bogdan Solomon <bs...@ncct.uottawa.ca> on 2007/04/18 21:33:32 UTC

Muse Metric not displaying last update field

I have created a resource that has a property that is supposed to be a Muse
Metric. I have followed the example of adding WSDM Metrics, and the
application works, however the only metric that gets returned to the client
is the duration, and it does not receive the last update. Part of the
Resource definition looks like this

<wsrmd:Property modifiability="read-only" mutability="mutable"
            name="myns:JVMMetric"
xmlns:myns="http://ws.apache.org/muse/test/pmi/jvm"
xmlns:muws2="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/muws2-2.xsd">

<muws2:Capability>http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/muws/capabilities/Metrics</muws2:Capability>
		    <muws2:TimeScope>Interval</muws2:TimeScope>
		    <muws2:GatheringTime>Periodic</muws2:GatheringTime>
		    <muws2:CalculationInterval>PT30S</muws2:CalculationInterval>
		     <muws2:ChangeType>Gauge</muws2:ChangeType>
            <wsrmd:ValidValues/>
            <wsrmd:StaticValues/>
            <wsrmd:InitialValues/>
        </wsrmd:Property>

and what I get returned to the client using the MetricsClient looks like
this:

<soapenv:Body>
        <wsrf-rp:GetResourcePropertyResponse
            xmlns:tns="http://axis2.platform.core.muse.apache.org"
xmlns:wsrf-rp="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrf/rp-2">
            <myns:JVMMetric Duration="PT30S"
xmlns:myns="http://ws.apache.org/muse/test/pmi/jvm">
                <myns:HeapSize>
                    <myns:LowerBound>51200</myns:LowerBound>
                    <myns:UpperBound>262144</myns:UpperBound>
                    <myns:LowerHighMark>51200</myns:LowerHighMark>
                    <myns:UpperHighMark>51838</myns:UpperHighMark>
                    <myns:Current>51838</myns:Current>
                </myns:HeapSize>
                <myns:UpTime>
                    <myns:Count>451279</myns:Count>
                </myns:UpTime>
            </myns:JVMMetric>
        </wsrf-rp:GetResourcePropertyResponse>
    </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

The metric gets update certainly as the up time count keeps changing.

Is there anything extra that I need to do in order to make the change
listener update the metric?

I also have a second question: how would I go about adding my own Metric
capability in Muse - which would update the values of the metric fields
differently then the default implementation. Is there any way to say what
MetricCapability to use via XML, or do I have to change Muse source code?

Re: Muse Metric not displaying last update field

Posted by Bogdan Solomon <bs...@ncct.uottawa.ca>.
Based on your previous reply I now understand how the update happens for the
metric, and I have fixed the issue with my program.

Posted by Bogdan Solomon <bs...@ncct.uottawa.ca>.

Posted by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com>.
Are you saying that the LastUpdated attribute is missing even after a call
to SetResourceProperties?

You can plug in your own implementation of Metrics (and any other
capability) by following these steps:

1. Implement the org.apache.muse.ws.dm.muws.Metrics interface.

http://ws.apache.org/muse/docs/2.2.0/javadoc/org/apache/muse/ws/dm/muws/Metric.html

You may want to reuse the Metric class (which is just a simple POJO), but
the Metrics capability can be whatever you want.

2. Update your muse.xml file to use your class instead of Muse's
(SimpleMetrics).