Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Travis Beauvais <tb...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/26 19:23:22 UTC

Unexplainable time out errors

I have a PHP thrift client and have tried both python and Scala servers.
About 1-3% of requests end up getting time out errors either in the write
or read portion of the request. There is no reason for these errors. The
servers have been up the entire time and I haven't even begun to send it
enough traffic to overload it. The read errors are especially confusing
since the methods being called don't actually return anything.

While the read errors might be the most confusing, the write errors are the
biggest problem. Especially since I think they are actually going through
although I can't be 100% certain.

Yes, I realized like 5 days ago that a simple fix might be to just increase
the timeout. Didn't work. This might have actually helped me stumble upon
the real issue. I set the times out to 1 minute. When I did that, the
scripts making the calls ending up freezing up causing CPU usage to go up
and the load on the machine and go up. It appears that the connection
stalled. When the timeout is low its ok because it just gets killed.

Anyone else experienced this?

Travis Beauvais