Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Calvert, Zach (Zach)** CTR **" <zc...@motive.com> on 2012/10/23 21:21:08 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_deflate - INFLATE filter problem

I am trying to configure an apache reverse proxy serving SSL where it will inflate gzip posts and then deflate (gzip) the response on the way back out.  I have all SSL, reverse proxy configuration working.  I've tested and verified those pieces.  What I'm trying to do now is enable mod_deflate to do the unpacking of the requests and the re-packing of the response.  This is simply to minimize bandwidth usage.  I have verified the client is submitting gzip data and also sending the HTTP Header "Content-Encoding" as "gzip" (not quite sure if that matters at this point).  The data being proxied is not being upackaged (deflated), and in the httpd error logs, I see
[Tue Oct 23 14:02:24 2012] [error] an unknown filter was not added: INFLATE

I have found the configuration docs for this at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_deflate.html
and some various other emails complaining of this problem turned up via google, with no real answer emails.

I have tried various configurations in my VirtualHost with/without Location of http_bind.  I also cannot find the input filter by type directive similar to "AddOutputFilterByType".  I would have expected there is a AddInputFilterByType, but there is not one.

Note that I also have
LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
so it isn't something as simple as "you forgot to load the module".

Sample configuration:

<VirtualHost _default_:5555>
     ServerName test.com:5555
     ErrorLog logs/test.com-error.log
     CustomLog logs/test.com-access.log common

     SSLEngine on
     SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:+HIGH:-MEDIUM:-LOW:-SSLv2:-EXP

     SSLCertificateFile /var/www/keys/test.com.crt
     SSLCertificateKeyFile /var/www/keys/test.com.key
     SSLCertificateChainFile /var/www/keys/RapidSSL_CA_bundle.pem

     SetInputFilter INFLATE
     SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

     SSLProxyEngine On
     ProxyRequests Off
     ProxyPreserveHost On
     <Location /http_bind>
        SetInputFilter INFLATE
        SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
        ProxyPass https://test.com:5443/http_bind
        ProxyPassReverse https://test.com:5443/http_bind
     </Location>

     <Proxy *>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
     </Proxy>
</VirtualHost>

Again, the only log that I can find that indicates the problem is
[Tue Oct 23 14:02:24 2012] [error] an unknown filter was not added: INFLATE

Is there some other directive that I may be missing to unpack the posted gzip requests?

Thank you,
Zach Calvert

[users@httpd] RE: mod_deflate - INFLATE filter problem

Posted by "Calvert, Zach (Zach)** CTR **" <zc...@motive.com>.
Just discovered the solution which is use DEFLATE on incoming requests to INFLATE the content.  Weird, but that's how it is mapped out in mod_deflate.c.

I guess the thinking is that you wouldn't ever zip content which has already made it across the wire to your server.

Zach Calvert

[...]

Again, the only log that I can find that indicates the problem is [Tue Oct 23 14:02:24 2012] [error] an unknown filter was not added: INFLATE