Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Vincent Tencé <vt...@sympatico.ca> on 2002/02/10 21:59:05 UTC

HttpClient and Logging

Hi everybody,

We are starting using the HttpClient library in our current project and we
have some questions concerning logging.
We have seen that there has been a lot of discussion in the commons mailing
list on this apparently hot subject :-)

Regardless of the logging API you decide to use, do you think it would be
reasonable to add a kind of
setLogger(Log log) function to the HttpClient classes so that client
applications can provide the HttpClient
an implementation of a logger rather than let it instanciate its own ?

This would be great for applications already using logging since we dont
want to have 2 different log
configuration mechanisms for one application. Client apps could then easily
integrate their logs with the one
produced by HttpClient.

Thx,
Vincent

Re: HttpClient and Logging

Posted by dIon Gillard <di...@multitask.com.au>.
Vincent Tencé wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>We are starting using the HttpClient library in our current project and we
>have some questions concerning logging.
>We have seen that there has been a lot of discussion in the commons mailing
>list on this apparently hot subject :-)
>
>Regardless of the logging API you decide to use, do you think it would be
>reasonable to add a kind of
>setLogger(Log log) function to the HttpClient classes so that client
>applications can provide the HttpClient
>an implementation of a logger rather than let it instanciate its own ?
>
>This would be great for applications already using logging since we dont
>want to have 2 different log
>configuration mechanisms for one application. Client apps could then easily
>integrate their logs with the one
>produced by HttpClient.

Sounds like an interesting idea....got a patch handy?

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
http://www.multitask.com.au/developers