Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mark Shifman <ma...@yale.edu> on 2006/03/16 21:34:52 UTC

[Shale] shale-mailreader could not be started

Hi :
Today I got  the shale-mailreader-20060316.war, dropped it into  my
webapps dir, went to the tomcat manager and
it wasn't running.  I tried to start it and was told Message:      FAIL
- Application at context path /shale-mailreader-20060316 could not be
started

I am using Apache Tomcat/5.0.19    and JVM version 1.4.2_02-b03.

I also get this error:
2006-03-16 15:29:03 StandardContext[/shale-mailreader-20060316]Exception
starting filter shale
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/apache/shale/tiger/faces/LifecycleListener (Unsupported major.minor
version 49.0)

The shale-usecases-20060316.war seems to be running fine.  So are does
simple.war from myfaces.
Another example jsf-crud.war also seems to be ok.

What am I missing/doing wrong.
thanks in advance
mas

Re: [Shale] shale-mailreader could not be started

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 3/19/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do current automated builds of Shale Mailreader represent its finished
> or near-finished state, or it is still work in progress?

It is definitely a work in progress, like all the rest of Shale (which is
currently not in a final release state).  Improvements (either functional or
usability) are welcome; subject to the constraint that the primary "feature"
of this app is to show how you would take an existing application based on
Struts 1.x and re-impement it in JSF+Shale.  Doing things above and beyond
that (i.e. leveraging all the cool stuff JSF lets you do) is certainly a
reasonable thing to think about, but we should probably consider that a
"mailreader2" sort of use case.

Just as one example, making the table on the "registration" page include
input fields, instead of just being output fields, is trivial in JSF and a
lot harder with Struts 1.x.

Michael.

Craig

Re: [Shale] shale-mailreader could not be started

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Shifman <ma...@yale.edu>.
I removed shale-tiger.jar from the lib and it started fine.
I opened a bugzilla ticket for struts component shale.
Thanks for your rapid response.

Mark Shifman
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 3/16/06, Mark Shifman <ma...@yale.edu> wrote:
>

>> I also get this error:
>> 2006-03-16 15:29:03 StandardContext[/shale-mailreader-20060316]Exception
>> starting filter shale
>> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
>> org/apache/shale/tiger/faces/LifecycleListener (Unsupported major.minor
>> version 49.0)
>>

> This means that classes were compiled for Java SE 5 (JDK 1.5) but
> you're trying to run them on JDK 1.4.  In this case, it's
> shale-tiger.jar, which requires JDK 1.5.
>
> However, I don't think the Mailreader app actually uses the Tiger
> extensions, so try deleting shale-tiger.jar from
> shale-mailreader/WEB-INF/lib and restarting the container.
>
> Can you please open a ticket for this?
>   http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla with product Struts and component Shale
>
> Thank you,
> --
> Wendy

 Mark Shifman MD. Ph.D.
 Yale Center for Medical Informatics
 Phone (203)737-5219
 mark.shifman@yale.edu

Re: [Shale] shale-mailreader could not be started

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 3/16/06, Mark Shifman <ma...@yale.edu> wrote:

> Hi :
> Today I got  the shale-mailreader-20060316.war, dropped it into  my
> webapps dir, went to the tomcat manager and
> it wasn't running.  I tried to start it and was told Message:      FAIL
> - Application at context path /shale-mailreader-20060316 could not be
> started
>
> I am using Apache Tomcat/5.0.19    and JVM version 1.4.2_02-b03.
>
> I also get this error:
> 2006-03-16 15:29:03 StandardContext[/shale-mailreader-20060316]Exception
> starting filter shale
> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> org/apache/shale/tiger/faces/LifecycleListener (Unsupported major.minor
> version 49.0)

Hmm ... the only time I have seen this kind of problem is when the sources
for the application are compiled with a 1.5 compiler without setting the
"target" option in the build script to say "please build class files
compatible with 1.4."  Could you please file an issue ih our issue tracing
system, and be sure to detail all the platform specifics you are using?

  http://issues.apache.org/buzilla/

Craig