Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2011/08/05 03:13:06 UTC

Interesting: bigdata is a registered trademark

I just saw this site, where SYSTAP has a bigdata (r) registered
trademark on their, um, Big Data related software product:

   http://www.bigdata.com/bigdata/blog/

- Shane

Re: Interesting: bigdata is a registered trademark

Posted by Daniel Sikar <ds...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Booth <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Segel, Mike <ms...@navteq.com> wrote:

> I should add. In terms of Hadoop, 'Big Data' is a term to describe the
> problem set and not any specific product.

It is probably worth ensuring that we use "big data" with no caps to make it
clear we are using the descriptive term rather than a product name of any
kind.

-- Owen

RE: Interesting: bigdata is a registered trademark

Posted by "Segel, Mike" <ms...@navteq.com>.
I should add. In terms of Hadoop, 'Big Data' is a term to describe the problem set and not any specific product.
So in that context, I wouldn't worry too much, depending on how litigious  SYSTAP can get. Of course, who are they going to sue?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Bleah.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.