Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Anand Somani <me...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/29 06:26:15 UTC

What are the things to watch out for with big nodes

Hi,

If I have a cluster with 15-20T nodes, somethings that I know will be a
potential problem are

   - Compactions taking longer
   - Higher read latencies
   - Long time for adding/removing nodes

What are other things that can be problematic with big nodes?

Regards
Anand

Re: What are the things to watch out for with big nodes

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> If I have a cluster with 15-20T nodes, somethings that I know will be a
> potential problem are
>
> Compactions taking longer
> Higher read latencies
> Long time for adding/removing nodes
>
> What are other things that can be problematic with big nodes?

http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/LargeDataSetConsiderations

(some details slightly out of date by now, I should try to update it)

Honestly though, I don't recommend going for nodes that big unless you
want to spend time dealing with issues you'll hit.

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode on twitter)