Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/07/04 18:44:30 UTC

Re: [classlib]Using APR for Harmony's native link to the OS

On 4 July 2006 at 18:45, "Marina Goldburt" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To support the idea mentioned in the letter
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200602.mbox/%3
> C43F06F25.8040304@gmail.com%3E,
>
> I've tried to implement the file I/O  part of the Harmony portlib using APR.
>
> The JIRA issue with the patch is
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-751.
>

> The main difficulty to implement I/O function using APR was the lack of
> modularity in the classlib native code (the other (not portlib) modules
> relies on the portlib functions returning OS I/O handles (but APR uses its
> own handles)).
>

> Please, review the patch and comment if the efforts to move OS/platform
> specific code to APR make sense and can be useful.

Hi Marina,

This is an interesting patch!  I'd be happy to see more efforts to
"port" things to APR.  I'd be interested in how much performance is
affected.

I'm curious understand where you see this leading.  How much of the
platform code do you think you'll be able to replace?  Have you had any
thoughts on the memory model issue discussed later in the thread you
mentioned, at:

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200602.mbox/%3c187bb05d0602221037i50d755bdrbb30f95fcfc718ab@mail.gmail.com%3e

Regards,
 Mark

P.S.

There are quite a lot of spurious whitespace changes in the patch - in
depends.xml for example.  Also, it's hard to see what has changed in the
hyfile.c move.  I've found that a clearer way to encapsulate changes
like this is to make a recipe/script with the "svn move"/"svn delete"
commands (in this case a move of one of the hyfile.c and a delete of the
other) and then the patch with the changes.  Not sure if it matters in
this case, since I'm guessing you ended up replacing most of the file -
but it's a little hard to tell for certain.