Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/31 17:45:40 UTC

WanDISCO Subversion Multisite

I have a client that has a local US repository and developers all over
the world. The remote developers are complaining about slow access
times for Subversion. Some are even saying we should move to Git
(which really wouldn't help the commit times to the main repository
where builds are done).

I am looking into WanDISCO's Subversion Multisite as a solution. Has
anyone on this list have any experience with it? The costs are a bit
higher than I realized, so if I do a proposal, I have to be able to
convince the client it's worth the tens of thousands of dollars per
year they'll need to pay for support.

* What is your experience with Subversion Multisite?

* Is there another solution? What about svnsync? I'm technical enough
that I can do the installation and maintenance without a pretty front
end. However, I still need the multisync features.

Any information would be appreciated.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: WanDISCO Subversion Multisite

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 5:13 AM, Mat Booth <ma...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 31 May 2012 17:14, Ulrich Eckhardt <ul...@dominolaser.com>wrote:
>
>> Am 31.05.2012 17:45, schrieb David Weintraub:
>> [SVN long distance performance problems]
>> > * Is there another solution? What about svnsync?
>>
>> svnsync will greatly speed up the update, checkout and log access. You
>> can configure it to automatically push changes to connected repositories
>> on commit, so remote people don't have to do anything. svnsync doesn't
>> change commit times though, because committing still goes (indirectly
>> via a proxy) to the main repository, which solves any distributed sync
>> issues.
>>
>> > However, I still need the multisync features.
>>
>> What are those? svnsync doesn't add any features, it just improves
>> performance in the above cases by providing a more local cache. Well, it
>> adds distributed, redundant storage of data, but that's all.
>>

> WANdisco MultiSite differs from svnsync by offering a multi-master node
> setup where users can use their closest node geographically in order to
> improve both check out and commit speed.

I'm also impressed with your company's attention to fail-over behavior, so
that the failure of the "master" node does not stop updates cold, and so
that access configurations and pre/post commit operations don't have to be
mirrored with some handwritten, out of band operation.

Complete solutions are invaluable for sites that don't have a skilled local
admin who has the time and skill to build those up from scratch reliably.

Re: WanDISCO Subversion Multisite

Posted by Mat Booth <ma...@wandisco.com>.
On 31 May 2012 17:14, Ulrich Eckhardt <ul...@dominolaser.com>wrote:

> Am 31.05.2012 17:45, schrieb David Weintraub:
> [SVN long distance performance problems]
> > * Is there another solution? What about svnsync?
>
> svnsync will greatly speed up the update, checkout and log access. You
> can configure it to automatically push changes to connected repositories
> on commit, so remote people don't have to do anything. svnsync doesn't
> change commit times though, because committing still goes (indirectly
> via a proxy) to the main repository, which solves any distributed sync
> issues.
>
> > However, I still need the multisync features.
>
> What are those? svnsync doesn't add any features, it just improves
> performance in the above cases by providing a more local cache. Well, it
> adds distributed, redundant storage of data, but that's all.

WANdisco MultiSite differs from svnsync by offering a multi-master node
setup where users can use their closest node geographically in order to
improve both check out and commit speed.

> Uli

> Domino Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
> Geschäftsführer: Thorsten Föcking, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932

> Visit our website at http://www.dominolaser.com

> Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten
> bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte
> benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der
> beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu
> löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder
> anderweitig benutzt werden.
> E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie
> nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Domino Laser GmbH ist für diese
> Folgen nicht verantwortlich.

Mat Booth
Software Engineer
WANdisco, Inc.