Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by jimtronic <ji...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/28 17:05:45 UTC

bootstrap_conf without restarting

I'm doing fairly frequent changes to my data-config.xml files on some of my
cores in a solr cloud setup. Is there anyway to to get these files active
and up to Zookeeper without restarting the instance?

I've noticed that if I just launch another instance of solr with the
bootstrap_conf flag set to true, it uploads the new settings, but it dies
because there's already a solr instance running on that port. It also seems
to make the original one unresponsive or at least "down" in zookeeper's
eyes. I then just restart that instance and everything is back up. It'd be
nice if I could bootstrap without actually starting solr.

What's the best practice for deploying changes to data-config.xml?

Thanks, Jim

Re: bootstrap_conf without restarting

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.
I do this frequently, but use the scripts provided in cloud-scripts, e.g.

export ZK_HOST=...

cloud-scripts/zkcli.sh -zkhost $ZK_HOST -cmd upconfig -confdir
$COLLECTION_INSTANCE_DIR/conf -confname $COLLECTION_NAME

Also, once you do this, you still have to reload the collection so that it
picks up the change:

curl -i -v "
http://URL/solr/admin/collections?action=RELOAD&name=COLLECTION_NAME"

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.