Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca> on 2003/11/19 12:48:13 UTC

Re: FOP ~ PropertyList search gives linear performance (FROM: fop-user)

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 22:36, Peter B. West wrote:

> That way lies madness.  When you look into the *actual* requirements for
> property processing, you may well draw the same conclusions as I did.
> In fact, when I got to the point of running some comparative timing
> tests, I had already decided that there were serious flaws in my design
> which I needed to address before proceeding.  Some of those I have
> already mentioned.  I will give you the benefit of my experiences
> off-line.  You may be able to see a way to integrate the work I have
> done with the current directions of HEAD.

Overnight I ran another test, using xml-fop_20031118231549.tar.gz
and the final summary of the call tree SUGGESTS that things are
better (although the results may be incorrect).

> The last assessment of the situation that I can recall on this list was
> that property handling is working satisfactorily so there is no need to
> pay any attention to it.  Yes, really.

My focus is on performance. I came to the properties discussion from a
measurement of program performance. In my experience, measurement is
the most reliable approach to optimization.

I have attached another screen dump. I tyry to keep them small, but
tjhey get a bit grainy if I reduce them too much.

--
John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca>

Re: FOP ~ PropertyList search gives linear performance (FROM: fop-user)

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
No shortages here.

Peter

Posted by John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca>.
--
John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca>

Re: FOP ~ PropertyList search gives linear performance (FROM: fop-user)

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
John Austin wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 22:36, Peter B. West wrote:

> Overnight I ran another test, using xml-fop_20031118231549.tar.gz
> and the final summary of the call tree SUGGESTS that things are
> better (although the results may be incorrect).

> My focus is on performance. I came to the properties discussion from a
> measurement of program performance. In my experience, measurement is
> the most reliable approach to optimization.

Entirely understandable.  Let me know what conclusions you come to.  I
will fill you in off-line on the approach I am taking.

My apologies to everyone on the list for the testy tone of my previous
posting.

Peter