Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Owen Pahl <ow...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/22 04:47:45 UTC

Logging header for all samples including subResults

Hi All,

I'm having a bit of trouble logging a specific HTTP header for each sampler
& subResult to the JMeter results log. This value of this field can change
even within the resources in a page.

I am aware of the sample_variables property (and use it regularly) however
from what I could work out from the source, it uses the same value for a
sampleResult and all it's subResults - there is only one sampleEvent.

I can easily extract the value required and can print it out from a JS223
Post-processor/Listener etc, but I can't figure out where I can store the
value so it is picked up by the logging code.
I had thought of using another field such as the AssertionMessage but that
will get overwritten if there is an actual assertion on a particular step.

For reference I am using the "-l, --logfile <argument>" command line
argument to configure the results logging.

Cheers,
Owen

Re: Logging header for all samples including subResults

Posted by Owen Pahl <ow...@gmail.com>.
Hi Felix,

The intent is to include the data with the regular results.
If I just needed to log to a file (jmeter.log or otherwise), we wouldn't be
having this discussion :)

In this particular case the header contains information about where the
request was handled, there is a transparent load balancer in front of the
service and sub-results may be handled by a different host/data center
depending on the URL.
This data will be used to confirm the load balancing is working as expected
and to aid any potentially required debugging.
There is also a theoretical question here about logging arbitrary data that
may change per sample/sub-sample to the Jmeter results file.

I did think about maybe writing this header data to a separate file, but
then I would still need a way to create a log some sort of identifier in
the results log to correlate the two logs ...

Cheers,
Owen

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 05:04, Felix Schumacher <

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.