Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Dan Retzlaff <dr...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/19 01:11:33 UTC

0.6.5 OOM during high read load

Dear experts, :)

Our application triggered an OOM error in Cassandra 0.6.5 by reading the
same 1.7MB column repeatedly (~80k reads). I analyzed the heap dump, and it
looks like the column value was queued 5400 times in an
OutboundTcpConnection destined for the Cassandra instance that received the
client request. Unfortunately, this intra-node connection goes across a
100Mb data center interconnect, so it was only a matter of time before the
heap was exhausted.

Is there something I can do (other than change the application behavior) to
avoid this failure mode? I'm not the first to run into this, am I?

Thanks,
Dan

Re: 0.6.5 OOM during high read load

Posted by Dan Retzlaff <dr...@gmail.com>.