Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/09 14:41:59 UTC

[REPORT] Groovy - August 2016

Hi all,

Here's the proposed report for the Apache Board for August.

Note the nice download numbers info: as of end of July, we've reached *12
million downloads since the beginning of the year*, which is almost as much
as the overall 12.7 million downloads from last year!

Guillaume

Apache Groovy is a multi-faceted programming language for the Java platform.
Groovy is a powerful, optionally typed and dynamic language, with static-
typing and static compilation capabilities, aimed at multiplying developers’
productivity thanks to a concise, familiar and easy to learn syntax. It
integrates smoothly with any Java program, and immediately delivers to your
application powerful features, including scripting capabilities, Domain-
Specific Language authoring, runtime and compile-time meta-programming and
functional programming.

## Issues:

The groovy-lang.org has been transferred to the Apache Software Foundation.
We still have the dichotomy between the groovy-lang.org website,
and groovy.apache.org which is still pointing at groovy-lang.org.

## Activity:

We made a new release on June 7th, with version 2.4.7.

We're still investigating how to make more automatic releases,
some experiments have started in this area,
during the Gradle Summit conference.

This quarter, we got 22 contributors to the codebase,
including 15 non-committers, 6 of which were new.

## Health report:

Compared to last year's 12.7M downloads, up until July,
we are already at 12M downloads for the first 7 months of the year
(across both Maven Central and Bintray JCenter).

We have a bit more users (7% increase) on the users list,
but the number of posts has decreased.
The summer period is often a bit less busy, so probably not worrying.
However we have a bit more trafic on the dev list,
indicating more discussions going on, which is good.

Less tickets opened compared to last quarter, but more tickets closed.

In terms of social presence, Groovy is 16th in the TIOBE language index.
The @ApacheGroovy twitter account reached 1758 followers,
compared to last quarter's 1475 (19% increase)

The GR8Conf Europe & US 2016 conferences have taken place,
and the next dedicated event will be the G3 Summit in December.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 9 PMC members.
 - Last PMC addition was Andrew Bayer on Wed Nov 18 2015

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 16 committers.
 - No new changes to the committer base since last report.

## Releases:

 - 2.4.7 was released on Tue Jun 07 2016
 - 2.4.6 was released on Feb 22 2016
 - 2.4.5 was released on Sept 17 2015
 - 2.4.4 was released on Jul 09 2015
 - 2.4.3 was released on Mar 23 2015

## Mailing list activity:

 - users@groovy.apache.org:

 - dev@groovy.apache.org:

 - issues@groovy.apache.org:
    - 9 subscribers (up 0 in the last 3 months)

 - notifications@groovy.apache.org:

## JIRA activity:

Guillaume Laforge

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/