Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2017/07/12 13:56:20 UTC

Re: [POLL] Who still uses Java 7 with Flink ?

Bumping this thread again.

There are several strong points for dropping Java 7 support, apart from the
fact that it is not maintained

  - We could really use the Java 8 default methods feature in interfaces to
evolve the API without breaking backwards compatibility

  - Easier build setup for Scala 2.12 (which requires Java 8), no need to
manage the tricky combinations of Java / Scala versions

  - Ability to use vanilla Akka (rather than Flakka) which requires Java 8.
    - Fewer problems for users that use Akka in the Flink applications
    - Flakka currently does not support Scala 2.12
    - Newer Akka versions shade protobuf, which is important

I think these together make a pretty good case for bumping the required
Java version to Java 8.

It would just help both Flink users (dependency management, Scala versions)
and developers (build simplification) a lot.
Unless we see users stepping forward and making a case that it will be
impossible for them to upgrade to Java 8, I suggest to go forward with this.

Best,
Stephan

Posted by Stefan Richter <s....@data-artisans.com>.
+1 for dropping Java 7.