Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk> on 2003/04/03 18:18:35 UTC

DOMInputSource (was: EntityResolver doesn't receive the baseURI)

    Gareth> Hi, sorry about the lack of response the first time. Is
    Gareth> there a reason why you can't go over to use the official
    Gareth> DOM stuff? If so perhaps we should have 2 constructors so
    Gareth> we don't break backwards compatibility. How does this
    Gareth> sound to you?

I've been meaning to mention this for a long time now. The official (?
is 3.0 Load/Save live now) DOMEntityResolver requires a
DOMInputSource, but Xerces-c does not fully implement this. In fact,
it doesn't implement the bits that would make it usable! (i.e. the
attributes byteStream/characterStream/stringData). Without one of
these methods, it is impossible to actually use a DOMInputSource (at
least, with a pure DOM interface, which is all I can use), as the only
official method of creating a DOMInputSource creates an empty one. So
I hope this interface will be rounded off for 2.3.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire

Re: DOMInputSource (was: EntityResolver doesn't receive the baseURI)

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.
Has any progress been made on this issue?

Posted by Khaled Noaman <kn...@ca.ibm.com>.
A while back, I posted a note [1] on how the introduction of
DOMInputSource and DOMEntityResolver will affect the
Xerces-C++ internal components. There was not much of a
response. I hope that this note will give people a good overview
of the how Xerces-C++ works internally. We currently have
two input source (IS) wrappers (SAX IS->DOM IS) and
(DOM IS->SAX IS). Those wrappers allow users to use the
LocalFile/MemBuf/etc. classes (which are SAX IS) and pass
them to a DOMBuilder->parse method. Since, SAX IS does
not have a method to get/set the base URI, the resolve entity
of the DOM entity resolver will be passed a null string. One
change that we can make is to add a get/setbaseURI on SAX
IS which we can then pass to the resolve entity method.

Khaled
[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xerces-c-dev&m=102086592028855&w=2

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@decisionsoft.com>.
Apologies, I did not mean this to sound as if I was expecting you to
provide anything. I really do mean that I can do this in short order if
this is helpful to you and is all that is required to be helpful. By new
spec I was referring to the one released at the end of Feb.

Gareth

--
Gareth Reakes, Head of Product Development  +44-1865-203192
DecisionSoft Limited                        http://www.decisionsoft.com

Re: DOMInputSource (was: EntityResolver doesn't receive the baseURI)

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@decisionsoft.com>.

I can change the interface over to the new spec in fairly short order if
that would be helpful (or you could provide a patch). Is this all that
would be required?

Gareth