Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Hiller, Dean" <De...@nrel.gov> on 2013/06/24 14:42:17 UTC

AssertionError: Unknown keyspace?

I haven't seen this error in a long time.  We just received the below error in production when rebuilding a node…any ideas on how to get around this?  We had rebuilt 3 other nodes already I think(we have been swapping hardware)

ERROR 06:32:21,474 Exception in thread Thread[ReadStage:1,5,main]
java.lang.AssertionError: Unknown keyspace databus5
at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.<init>(Table.java:263)
at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.open(Table.java:110)
at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.open(Table.java:88)
at org.apache.cassandra.db.ReadVerbHandler.doVerb(ReadVerbHandler.java:47)
at org.apache.cassandra.net.MessageDeliveryTask.run(MessageDeliveryTask.java:56)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:895)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:918)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Thanks for any insight,
Dean

Re: AssertionError: Unknown keyspace?

Posted by "Hiller, Dean" <De...@nrel.gov>.
Yes, it would be nice at startup just to say don't list your seed node as this node and then fail out and we would have known this a long long time ago ;).
Dean

From: Wei Zhu <wz...@yahoo.com>>
Date: Monday, June 24, 2013 12:36 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<ma...@cassandra.apache.org>" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: AssertionError: Unknown keyspace?

I have got bitten by it once. At least there should be a message saying, there is no streaming data since it's a seed node.
I searched the source code, the message was there and it got removed at certain version.

-Wei

________________________________

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

Posted by "Hiller, Dean" <De...@nrel.gov>.
Oh shoot, this is a seed node.  Is there documentation on how to bootstrap
a seed node?  If I have seeds of A, B, C for every machine on the ring and
I am bootstrapping node B, do I just modify cassandra.yaml and remove node
B from the yaml file temporarily and boot it up (Note, I still received
the unknown keyspace errors :( but it is bootstrapping now) and I assume I
can add node B back once all the data is in there.

Thanks,
Dean

Posted by "Hiller, Dean" <De...@nrel.gov>.