Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2017/05/18 14:46:54 UTC

[JELLY] State of the project (Was: [VOTE][LAZY] Move Apache Commons Jelly to dormant)

Hi,

> Am 17.05.2017 um 19:38 schrieb Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>:
>
> I think that we could, as a community test of interest, say something like,
> if Oliver wants to push out what is in trunk in the next 30 days or so (or
> 60 or 90), we will help. I would help with odds and ends. Aside from that,
> if no one cares enough to "do", then let's hibernate it.

I’m currently having a look at the code base. There is a lot of work to do. I’m currently trying to fix the build to republish the website. Here are the things I discovered:

- dependencies are out dated
- mixture of build files: build.xml, project.xml, maven.xml, pom.xml (can we drop all but pom.xml?)
- missing maven plugin „maven-jellydoc-plugin“. It seems to be part of the code base, but the build is not configured to generate it
- strange structure of the project with several source folders (src and jelly-tags)

But these are all things that can be fixed, given people find the time to work on this :-)

Regards,
Benedikt

Re: [JELLY] State of the project (Was: [VOTE][LAZY] Move Apache Commons Jelly to dormant)

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
Jenkins recently moved to 1.8 too, so whichever version we choose to use should be fine. If the consensus is to cut a release now with fewer changes, followed by another release with 1.8 I'd be fine as well.

Once the project is ready to be released again, I'll look into the issues applied to the Jenkins fork of Jelly [1] and start to check how to move them back here if possible, and - hopefully - have one less patched dependency in Jenkins (-:

Cheers
Bruno

[1] https://github.com/jenkinsci/jelly

________________________________
> Am 18.05.2017 um 16:46 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Am 17.05.2017 um 19:38 schrieb Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>>:
>>>
>>> I think that we could, as a community test of interest, say something like,
>>> if Oliver wants to push out what is in trunk in the next 30 days or so (or
>>> 60 or 90), we will help. I would help with odds and ends. Aside from that,
>>> if no one cares enough to "do", then let's hibernate it.
>>
>> I’m currently having a look at the code base. There is a lot of work to do. I’m currently trying to fix the build to republish the website. Here are the things I discovered:
>>
>> - dependencies are out dated
>> - mixture of build files: build.xml, project.xml, maven.xml, pom.xml (can we drop all but pom.xml?)
> Yes, IMHO keeping only pom.xml should be fine.
>
>> - missing maven plugin „maven-jellydoc-plugin“. It seems to be part of the code base, but the build is not configured to generate it
>> - strange structure of the project with several source folders (src and jelly-tags)
> Somehow the tag libs were treated as separate modules, but probably in a
> layout compliant to Maven 1.x.
>

>> But these are all things that can be fixed, given people find the time to work on this :-)
>>
> We might also think about the minimum Java version we want to support.
> As the project has been unmaintained for such a long time, I assume we
> are pretty free to switch to a modern version as nobody expects an update.
>
> It might even be beneficial to switch to Java 8. I can imagine that
> lambda syntax could be used in an elegant way to create simple tags.

I think Bruno needs Jelly for Jenkins. So we need to make sure it can be used within Jenkins.

Benedikt

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> Am 19.05.2017 um 17:02 schrieb Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>:
>
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de <ma...@oliver-heger.de>
>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> thank you for looking into this.
>>
>> Am 18.05.2017 um 16:46 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
>>> Hi,

>> like,
>> (or
>> that,
>>>
>>> I’m currently having a look at the code base. There is a lot of work to
>> do. I’m currently trying to fix the build to republish the website. Here
>> are the things I discovered:
>>>
>>> - dependencies are out dated
>>> - mixture of build files: build.xml, project.xml, maven.xml, pom.xml
>> (can we drop all but pom.xml?)
>> Yes, IMHO keeping only pom.xml should be fine.
>>
>>> - missing maven plugin „maven-jellydoc-plugin“. It seems to be part of
>> the code base, but the build is not configured to generate it
>>> - strange structure of the project with several source folders (src and
>> jelly-tags)
>> Somehow the tag libs were treated as separate modules, but probably in a
>> layout compliant to Maven 1.x.
>>

>>> But these are all things that can be fixed, given people find the time
>> to work on this :-)
>>>
>> We might also think about the minimum Java version we want to support.
>> As the project has been unmaintained for such a long time, I assume we
>> are pretty free to switch to a modern version as nobody expects an update.
>>
>> It might even be beneficial to switch to Java 8. I can imagine that
>> lambda syntax could be used in an elegant way to create simple tags.
>>

> I would be nice to flush out what we have now in a release with the same
> Java requirement, and then switch to Java 8.

Yes sure, we could do that. But is it really worth the effort? Are there really people waiting for this fixes? The last release was in 2005. That’s 12 years.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t do it, but I fear that it will be some work, given the fact that at the moment I have no idea who to build and release Jelly. So if I were to decide, I’d say let’s just start over and push out a new release without having to make it compatible with Java 1.3 (?)

Regards,
Benedikt

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 May 2017 at 22:02, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de
>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> thank you for looking into this.
>>
>> Am 18.05.2017 um 16:46 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
>> > Hi,

>> like,
>> (or
>> that,
>> >
>> > I’m currently having a look at the code base. There is a lot of work to
>> do. I’m currently trying to fix the build to republish the website. Here
>> are the things I discovered:
>> >
>> > - dependencies are out dated
>> > - mixture of build files: build.xml, project.xml, maven.xml, pom.xml
>> (can we drop all but pom.xml?)
>> Yes, IMHO keeping only pom.xml should be fine.
>>
>> > - missing maven plugin „maven-jellydoc-plugin“. It seems to be part of
>> the code base, but the build is not configured to generate it
>> > - strange structure of the project with several source folders (src and
>> jelly-tags)
>> Somehow the tag libs were treated as separate modules, but probably in a
>> layout compliant to Maven 1.x.
>>

>> > But these are all things that can be fixed, given people find the time
>> to work on this :-)
>> >
>> We might also think about the minimum Java version we want to support.
>> As the project has been unmaintained for such a long time, I assume we
>> are pretty free to switch to a modern version as nobody expects an update.
>>
>> It might even be beneficial to switch to Java 8. I can imagine that
>> lambda syntax could be used in an elegant way to create simple tags.
>>

> I would be nice to flush out what we have now in a release with the same
> Java requirement, and then switch to Java 8.

+1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Hi,