Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org> on 2005/11/14 05:32:58 UTC

Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Thanks to our testers, over the weekend we've found and fixed these:

* removed session-factory name argument from Hibernate configuration
file
* restored missing create-user page
* restored missing weblog maintenance page
* added cache flush to save of bookmarks
* fixed array-index out of bounds problem when no default blogroll
defined

Are we ready for a new RC, or is there some other evil lurking?

- Dave

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

>Spent the end of the evening working on Roller. Installation went
>fine. We QA'd the New Registration page. Nothing huge, just spelling
>mistakes and the confusing default of 'Front Page' for the site short
>name (let me know if my change to 'Roller' was presumptuous).
>
>Carrie and I are testing out a lightweight QA process. Before she
>spent the last year taking care of our baby, Carrie was a
>web-editor/QA tester. So we're looking into coming up with something
>that feels right in terms of light, open-source style agility.
>
>Not sure it's as lightweight as we'd want; took an hour to do 1 page
>:) But that included fixing it etc.
>
>---
>
>When I try to invite someone to my blog, I get:
>
> User successfully invited
>ERROR: Notification email(s) not sent, Roller's mail session not
>properly configured
>
>Three issues here:
>
>1) I can't find anything detailing how to set that up in the wiki
>install doc, or the install faq.

Yes. It needs more explanation.  There is only a comment in the sample
context xml files.

>2) The machine is running smtp on localhost, so I would have thought
>it should have worked by default

The mail/session resource needs to be set up in the context.

>3) The successfully invited bit means it won't let me invite them
>again. ie) it saw the error but didn't rollback the invitation.

Yes it should not commit until after the send succeeds.  There's still a
chance that the mail get to the first relay and encounter some problem.
There should be a way to resend the invitation.

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org>.
Thanks for the reminder. I'll do that right after I upload the release
whose name and number shall not be spoken.

- Dave

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org>.

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
This is a point of debate actually.

There are a number of pages throughout the editor UI where a specific page does not show the tabs.  I don't remember all of them, but I know the invite user and edit template pages are examples.

Personally, I think this is a UI mistake and that we should be consitent by including all editor pages within the tab structure.  During our testing/fixing of 2.0 at Sun we ultimately ran out of time to deal with this and it was left alone.  I don't think it will cause much harm, but I do believe that it is more appropriate for these pages to have tabs like all the other pages.

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 11:43, Matt Raible wrote:
> On 11/15/05, Allen Gilliland <Al...@sun.com> wrote:
> > After looking at the RequestFilter more carefully, is there any reason we even need that filter anymore?
> >
> > >From the code it appears this filter does 3 things ...
> >
> > 1. pre-emptively create a RollerRequest object
> > 2. create a login cookie for users that want it
> > 3. set the update time in the request !?
> >
> > I think we can easily scratch 1 & 3 off as items that should be done by whatever servlet or struts action is handling the request.  We shouldn't need to do that work ahead of time.
> >
> > Then if we move #2 somewhere else we should be fine.  I also think that step 2 will probably be going away when we switch to Acegi security.
>
> Yes, most of the logic in this class is removed by the Acegi
> integration.  I can upgrade my patch to Acegi 0.9.0 if there's enough
> interest.

definitely.  i would definitely still like to see Acegi as part of Roller 2.1.  perhaps after you update the patch then we can take a little bit more time to test and then do a vote.

-- Allen

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Matthew Schmidt <ma...@javalobby.org>.
This was indeed the case.  I added the following to anything that was
mapped to .do.  The frontpage comes up properly now.

<dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>
<dispatcher>FORWARD</dispatcher>

-Matt

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by "Matthew P. Schmidt" <ma...@javalobby.org>.

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by Matthew Schmidt <ma...@javalobby.org>.
Hi guys.  I just ran the upgrade script (SQL) on a fairly recent copy of
our database and it took all of 10 seconds.  If your task is taking 4.5
days, then I think perhaps there must be something wrong with the task
and the way its using the connections.  It does appear that the entries
all have the PUBLISHED or DRAFT settings and all websites have handles.

-Matt

Re: Time for Roller 2.0 RC2?

Posted by "Matthew P. Schmidt" <ma...@javalobby.org>.
Allen,