Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2000/09/21 11:10:55 UTC

SOAP and cocoon

Hello,

has anyone worked with Apache SOAP and cocoon? I need every bit of
information you have ;-)

I think it would be very useful to have a SOAP taglib for cocoon, so
that XSP pages can act as a SOAP client, no?

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: SOAP and cocoon

Posted by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> Sorry Uli, it is something I would like to use, but do not use at the
> moment.
> I have never used SOAP, though I used to do lots of stuff based on the more
> generic XML/RPC.

Perhaps you'd like to use it, once it comes in a clean taglib :)

I have soap up and running with a simple Java client and Tomcat on the
server side. So I have to do three things:

- package the Java client into a taglib call
- provide a HTTP interface to the Java client (so non-Java apps can use
it, too, if they speak HTTP)
- get the SOAP server's response, package it in XML tags and somehow merge
these XML tags with the rest of the XSP page

The first two items are straightforward, the third one seems to be the
most difficult. I can send XML to the browser from a SOAP server, no
problem - but I want this XML to be sent through cocoon first.

I think this task is very similar to what the SQL processor does, once it
gets the result set from the JDBC driver. It wraps a <ROWSET><ROW>
structure around the database content and sends the document back to
cocoon. Maybe I can just steal some code ;-)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung

Re: SOAP and cocoon

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 13:01 +0200 21/09/00, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>>
>> At 11:10 +0200 21/09/00, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >has anyone worked with Apache SOAP and cocoon? I need every bit of
>> >information you have ;-)
>> >
>> >I think it would be very useful to have a SOAP taglib for cocoon, so
>> >that XSP pages can act as a SOAP client, no?
>>
>> yes!
>> but I cannot tell you anything about it ....
>
>Because it's secret or because you don't know anything about SOAP? :)
>
>I'd hate to duplicate efforts, so I wanted to check what's been done or
>in the works.

It's Top Secret!!!

Not :)

Sorry Uli, it is something I would like to use, but do not use at the moment.
I have never used SOAP, though I used to do lots of stuff based on the more
generic XML/RPC.

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre