Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/12 00:34:55 UTC

[DISCUSS] Bump hadoop versions on up coming 2.3.0 and 3.0.0 releases

Hadoop now has a wiki page to show the EOL releases lines

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/EOL+(End-of-life)+Release+Branches

2.8.x is finally dead, so we'd better at least upgrade to 2.9.x in newer
release lines.

And in this announcement

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r348f7bc93a522f05b7cce78a911854d128a6b1b8bd8124bad4d06ce6%40%3Cuser.hadoop.apache.org%3E

They even say you'd better upgrade to 2.10+.

For me, I prefer we just bump the hadoop version of 2.3.0 directly to
2.10.0, as 2.9.x is almost dead too. And since we still support hadoop
2.9.x on 2.2.x release line, which is the current stable release line,
which should be fine for users.

And for master branch, I suggest we just drop all the support for hadoop
2.x and bump hadoop to 3.1.x directly.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Re: [DISCUSS] Bump hadoop versions on up coming 2.3.0 and 3.0.0 releases

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 9:14 AM Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> -user@ on purpose
>
> We have previously communicated that hbase drops support for EOM Hadoop
> releases in the next hbase minor release. So I don't think we need specific
> communication about Hadoop 2.8.
>
> I am +1 on updating branch-2 to 2.9 or 2.10. I don't have strong feelings
> on if that includes the change landing in hbase 2.3.0, but I think this is
> the kind of ongoing maintenance work that should happen sooner rather than
> later, so maybe time for branch-2.3 if we don't want the update there.

I'd be in favor of going to hadoop 2.10 in hbase 2.3.0.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
-user@ on purpose

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.