Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/04/10 16:50:07 UTC

CVS Pruning instructions (was Re: [Proposal] Pruning Avalon Apps)

Peter Royal wrote:
> On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 10:14  AM, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> Sevak and Phyre to my knowledge provide management functions for
>> Phoenix--so they are in line with what would be called an "allowable"
>> application.  It makes using Avalon products easier.
>

> Phyre has moved out, did I forget to 'rm -rf' the directory?

I may have to check if it is simply skipping the directory.

Instead of simply 'rm -rf' a directory in CVS, can we apply the
following procedure?:

1) cvs -z3 delete -f directoryname
2) wait a reasonable time
3) rm -rf directoryname

The 'cvs -z3 delete -f' allows the directory to be nicely and
naturally pruned from everyone's CVS the next time they update.
A reasonable time to wait is the first 24 hour time period of
a week day.  IOW, if you delete the directory on Monday, you
can permanently delete it a full 24 hours later--giving people
time to update.  However, if you delete the directory on Friday,
you should wait till the same time of day on Monday because
people like me don't do updates over the weekend.

That way we won't run into problems with peoples personal
repositories (like mine) being out of sync with the server.

-----Chris Rock

Re: CVS Pruning instructions

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> 2) tar and gzip up the materials and store somewhere sensible (make sure
> to *NOT* exclude the CVS directories as some tar version do; this means
> we have lost lots of stuff in recent restructuring!)

We have?!?

Are you referring to the restructuring on the root avalon CVS?

If so, keep in mind that it is the REPOSITORY itself that was tar gzipd.
You can untar this, and set a CVSROOT folder right next to it.  Start
up a CVS daemon, and you can use it just as if it has always been live.

That means we also kept the history--not just the latest stuff as it
seems like you are suggesting.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Peter Royal wrote:
> Instead of simply 'rm -rf' a directory in CVS, can we apply the
> following procedure?:
>
> 1) cvs -z3 delete -f directoryname
> 2) wait a reasonable time
> 3) rm -rf directoryname

I'd make that

1) talk about the change and give people some time to object or make
their own backup copies
2) tar and gzip up the materials and store somewhere sensible (make sure
to *NOT* exclude the CVS directories as some tar version do; this means
we have lost lots of stuff in recent restructuring!)
3) cvs -z3 delete -f directoryname
4) commit

rm -RF is *not* good and it causes many headaches, especially for more
complex repos or repos with custom scripts, or when done improperly (and
really, most people don't know well enough what they're doing). It is
not a good idea at all.

> The 'cvs -z3 delete -f' allows the directory to be nicely and
> naturally pruned from everyone's CVS the next time they update.
> A reasonable time to wait is the first 24 hour time period of
> a week day.  IOW, if you delete the directory on Monday, you
> can permanently delete it a full 24 hours later

make that a few months, please.

just to make this even more clear: the policy is and should be to *never
ever* use the 'rm' or 'mv' commands within a cvs repository structure.

cheers,

- Leo

Re: CVS Pruning instructions (was Re: [Proposal] Pruning Avalon Apps)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Royal wrote:
> On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 11:02  AM, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> I do.  A reasonable alternative is to post a note and wait a couple of
>> hours.  That way folks are reasonably warned.
>

> fine w/me
>
>> Anyhoo, Phyre is still in CVS.  I removed the directory locally
>> and did an update--Phyre reappeared.
>

> its not, I just checked on cvs.apache.org and
> /home/cvs/avalon-apps/phyre doesn't exist.
> -pete

My bad.  I was looking at Sevak and thinking "Phyre".  You were right.

-----Chris Rock

Re: CVS Pruning instructions (was Re: [Proposal] Pruning Avalon Apps)

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.

#2 won't make a difference :)