Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2009/04/01 07:57:00 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

On 3/31/09 7:29 AM, Adrian Trenaman wrote:
> +1 for the name, and +1 for bringing together the felix and SMX
> kernels communities.
>
> One question though: will Karaf be intimately tied to the Felix OSGi
> implementation? I think that Karaf would be stronger if we can show
> that it works over any OSGi compliant core. Thoughts, anyone?

Are there any Felix subprojects dependent upon the Felix framework
implementation (besides Main, which is the framework launcher) ?

-> richard

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 4/1/09 2:03 AM, Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> 2009/4/1 Richard S. Hall<he...@ungoverned.org>
>

>> On 3/31/09 7:29 AM, Adrian Trenaman wrote:
>>

>>> +1 for the name, and +1 for bringing together the felix and SMX kernels
>>> communities.
>>>
>>> One question though: will Karaf be intimately tied to the Felix OSGi
>>> implementation? I think that Karaf would be stronger if we can show that it
>>> works over any OSGi compliant core. Thoughts, anyone?
>>>

>> Are there any Felix subprojects dependent upon the Felix framework
>> implementation (besides Main, which is the framework launcher) ?
>>

> not AFAIK, but this comes back to people's subconscious view that bundles
> hosted at a
> particular framework site are somehow tied to that framework - which is
> hardly ever true.
>
> I guess we need to do more to advertise our bundles can be used on any
> framework...
> such as the idea of having a table showing where they had been successfully
> tested?

Yes, this has been discussed before and we actually have an issue for it:

     http://felix.apache.org/site/contributing.html

I think this is also related to the other issue I re-posted about
re-arranging the web site around subprojects.

More and more evidence that this is the right direction to take.

-> richard

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/4/1 Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org>

> On 3/31/09 7:29 AM, Adrian Trenaman wrote:
>
>> +1 for the name, and +1 for bringing together the felix and SMX kernels
>> communities.
>>
>> One question though: will Karaf be intimately tied to the Felix OSGi
>> implementation? I think that Karaf would be stronger if we can show that it
>> works over any OSGi compliant core. Thoughts, anyone?
>>

> Are there any Felix subprojects dependent upon the Felix framework
> implementation (besides Main, which is the framework launcher) ?

not AFAIK, but this comes back to people's subconscious view that bundles
hosted at a
particular framework site are somehow tied to that framework - which is
hardly ever true.

I guess we need to do more to advertise our bundles can be used on any
framework...
such as the idea of having a table showing where they had been successfully
tested?

> -> richard
>

>> /Ade

>>> And K == Kernel etc :)
>>>
>>> +1 am liking it.
>>>
>>> Easy to remember, spell and google search. Unless anyone can think of
>>> a better idea. (My ideas were all terrible :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> James
>>> -------
>>> http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>>>
>>> Open Source Integration
>>> http://fusesource.com/
>>>

>> ---
>> Adrian Trenaman, Consultant Fellow, PS - Opensource Center of Competence
>> Progress Software Corp
>> Shelbourne Road, Dublin 4, Ireland
>> ---
>> +353-1-637-2659 (Office)