Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Michael Lam <mi...@rubikloud.com> on 2017/01/24 14:30:39 UTC

On JMS 2.0 delayed delivery

Hello, thanks for the new release, am very excited to be able to use JMS
2.0 with QPID!

While trying to use 0.20 with Azure Service Bus (through AMQP 1.0), I run
into the issue of the library complaining "feature not supported", when I
set a delivery delay to a MessageProducer.

Upon inspecting the source code, QPID seems to recognise the capability
flag "DELAYED_DELIVERY" from the connection's properties.  Does it mean the
broker implementation has to advertise DELAYED_DELIVERY verbatim for it to
work?  Looking through the AMQP 1.0 specs no mention of DELAYED_DELIVERY
was found.

On Azure it says it "supports AMQP 1.0 scheduled message", which I believe
might be similar, however, it says it uses the "Management Version 1.0
working draft":
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/service-bus-messaging/service-bus-amqp-request-response

I suspect there probably is a major misunderstanding on my part on how AMQP
1.0 specify features.  My current impression is that AMQP itself does not
define scheduled or delayed delivery, but it is up to implementations to
define it at a level higher than AMQP.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!

Re: On JMS 2.0 delayed delivery

Posted by Michael Lam <mi...@rubikloud.com>.
Thanks Robbie, will take a look - although it seems using the Management
protocol for the purpose of sending scheduled message on Azure requires the
target amqp message to be binary-encoded, so unfortunately no escape from
further hacks.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Lam <mi...@rubikloud.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.