Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/07/29 20:56:48 UTC

[policy] Availability of resources for CTS

I'd like to try to establish a quick agreement on policies for how we
handle materials for running the TCK that we have created for
Geronimo will be available.

Currently, there is a suite of deployment plans that we use for our
TCK testing.  These materials will be useful for any community member
that wishes to build a J2EE server product based on Geronimo.  I
think it's in our interest to make them available to help promote the
use of Geronimo as a base for J2EE server products.

So, I'd like to propose the following policy for those materials :

1) Interested community members should contact the PMC, preferably on
the dev@ list, to ask for these materials.

2) The PMC has the right to refuse any request.

3) The materials are provided under the Apache License v2.

4) We kindly ask that these materials are not republished.

5) There is no offer of support for these materials.  Certifying our
own stuff is hard enough.

Any additions?  Deletions?  Comments?

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: [policy] Availability of resources for CTS

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
 > I'd like to try to establish a quick agreement on policies for how we
 > handle materials for running the TCK that we have created for  Geronimo
 > will be available.
 >
 > Currently, there is a suite of deployment plans that we use for our  TCK
 > testing.  These materials will be useful for any community member  that
 > wishes to build a J2EE server product based on Geronimo.  I  think it's
 > in our interest to make them available to help promote the  use of
 > Geronimo as a base for J2EE server products.

Does anyone need convincing as to why this would be a "Good Thing"?

 > So, I'd like to propose the following policy for those materials :
 >
 > 1) Interested community members should contact the PMC, preferably on
 > the dev@ list, to ask for these materials.

Consider this an official request; I would like access to the Geronimo CTS deployment plans.

 > 2) The PMC has the right to refuse any request.

With my ASF hat firmly on, if the PMC decides to make the material available outside the ASF I don't think we
can justify refusing a request unless there are external license issues that adversely affect redistribution.

 > 3) The materials are provided under the Apache License v2.

Sounds good...

 > 4) We kindly ask that these materials are not republished.

Either we're ok with redistribution, or we're not. If not, then the license needs to be something other than
ASL v2.

Bill