Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Franz Fehringer <fe...@isogmbh.de> on 2006/01/18 10:08:35 UTC

64bit integers really needed/intended?

Hello,

I observe that wsdl2ws generates 64bit integers for xsd:integer but 32bit
integers for xsd:int.
Is  this really as intended?
This is with current SVN on WIN2KSP4, JDK1.5.0_06, MSVC6SP6.

Greetings

Franz

Dr. Franz Fehringer (Dipl. Math.)
____________________________________
ISO Software Systeme
Eichendorffstrasse 29
90491 Nürnberg
Deutschland

Tel. : +49/(911) - 99594-0
Fax  : +49/(911) - 99594-580

mailto:feh@isogmbh.de
http://www.isogmbh.de

Re: 64bit integers really needed/intended?

Posted by Adrian Dick <ad...@uk.ibm.com>.
Hi,

The size of these types was chosen to most closely match the XML Schema
definition for those types. (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502/#built-in-datatypes )

In quick summary:
xsd:int is defined as supporting signed 32bit integers.
xsd:integer isn't actually specified, but the derived type xsd:long applies
the restriction of signed 64bit integer.  That was also chosen for
xsd:integer as the largest integer type on most platforms.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Dick (adrian.dick@uk.ibm.com)
WebSphere MQ and ESB Development