Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Lujo, Rodrigo" <rl...@harris.com> on 2000/10/10 23:58:54 UTC

Tomcat 4.0 Milestone 2 - Trying to run it

Hi all:

I downloaded and compiled the above with JDK 1.3 on Solaris 2.6.  I did run into
a problem
that you may run into so I will share it.

1) After the "build.sh" finishes it sets up the ./build/ area where the server
can be run from.
   This is in JAKARTA_HOME/build.  The problem is that the "webapps" directory
is created
   right under JAKARTA_HOME/webapps.  However, when running from
JAKARATA_HOME/tomcat4.0 it
   expects that directory to be under JAKARTA_HOME/tomcat4.0/webapps.

2) For now I got around this by replicating the above "webapps" directory where
it is expected.

Re: Tomcat 4.0 Milestone 2 - Trying to run it

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
"Lujo, Rodrigo" wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I downloaded and compiled the above with JDK 1.3 on Solaris 2.6.  I did run into
> a problem
> that you may run into so I will share it.
>
> 1) After the "build.sh" finishes it sets up the ./build/ area where the server
> can be run from.
>    This is in JAKARTA_HOME/build.  The problem is that the "webapps" directory
> is created
>    right under JAKARTA_HOME/webapps.  However, when running from
> JAKARATA_HOME/tomcat4.0 it
>    expects that directory to be under JAKARTA_HOME/tomcat4.0/webapps.
>
> 2) For now I got around this by replicating the above "webapps" directory where
> it is expected.

Assume you installed the source tree into

    $JAKARTA_HOME/jakarta-tomcat-4.0-m2-src

Then the following commands should build the entire thing (assuming you have the
required environment variables set correctly):

    cd $JAKARTA_HOME/jakarta-tomcat-4.0-m2-src
    ./build.sh

This will create a build directory with the following contents:

    $JAKARTA_HOME/build/
        catalina/            The servlet container components
        jasper/               The JSP engine components
        webapps/           The web application components
        tomcat-4.0/        All of Tomcat 4.0 assembled together

To run, you need to do one of the following:

        cd $JAKARTA_HOME/build/tomcat-4.0
        ./bin/catalina.sh start

or

        export CATALINA_HOME=$JAKARTA_HOME/build/tomcat-4.0
        $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh start

The other three build directories (catalina, jasper, and webapps) are not complete
-- they are used when you want to package the pieces individually with other
software.

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat