Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org> on 2005/07/07 19:49:22 UTC

Re: How do you set up JMX remote for Tomcat 5.5.9?

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/misc.html#properties

-Tim

Posted by teknokrat <te...@yahoo.com>.
you need to set
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9998

check the last two as I can't remember the precise syntax. if youwant
password authentication read the doc

Re: generate image by servlet for large amount of requests

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 7/7/05, Tony Smith <qu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Let's think about maps.yahoo.com. I do not know how
> they handle
> millions of request and generate the map pictures
> quickly.

For simpler and more formal images like bar charts you can return
javascript and render image in browser.

Michael.

[OT] Re: generate image by servlet for large amount of requests

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
Using a servlet seems reasonable. Whether or not you code will scale
adequately really depends on how generateMap() is implemented. If it can
process calls at the rate you anticipate needing you'll be fine. If it
can't you'll have to optimize it, introduce caching, use client-side
pre-fetching of image data á la Google Maps, whatever.

L.

Tony Smith wrote:r

--
Laurie, Open Source advocate, Java geek and novice blogger:
http://www.holoweb.net/~laurie/

Re: generate image by servlet for large amount of requests

Posted by Christoph Kutzinski <ku...@gmx.de>.
Yes,

a good idea would be not to hijack someone elses discussion thread and
start a new one instead. Then probably more people will read your question.
Regarding your original question: no idea

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
We resize our images using Tomcat. The resized images are cached on the local disk with a nigthly cron, which removes unused files older than x days. Just try it and see what the load is. If the load is very high, buy more servers with a loadbalancer.

Ronald.

On Fri Jul 08 17:32:03 CEST 2005 Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org> wrote:
> Any ideas?
>
> --- Tony Smith <qu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Let's think about maps.yahoo.com. I do not know how
> > they handle
> > millions of request and generate the map pictures
> > quickly. If I use a
> > servlet, in the post or get method I use:
> >

> > BufferedImage mapImage =
> > myTookKit.generateMap(String address);
> > response.setContentType("image?/png");
> > OutputStream os = response.getOutputStream();
> > ImageIO.write(buffer, "png", os);
> > os.close();
> >

> > Is servlet a good choice? If I use servlet, is the
> > code above good
> > enough to handle hundreds of request? Is the choice
> > of
> > BufferedImage a
> > good one? What special technique I need to implement
> > "myTookKit" to
> > make it faster? I am thinking about JNI.
> >

> > Thanks,

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

Re: generate image by servlet for large amount of requests

Posted by BH...@powersystems.rockwell.com.
maps.google.com uses AJAX to update their maps "on the fly"  This allows
you to display on the portion of the image that is required on the page.
As you zoom in, out, of move around the map, they use a XML connection to
update the map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX

             Tony Smith
             <quickcur@yahoo.c
                                       Tomcat Users List
             07/08/2005 11:32          <to...@jakarta.apache.org>,
             AM                        user@struts.apache.org
                                                                        cc

               "Struts Users           Re: generate image by servlet for
               Mailing List"           large amount of requests
             <user@struts.apac
                  he.org>

Any ideas?

Posted by Tony Smith <qu...@yahoo.com>.