Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Tom Klaasen (TeleRelay)" <to...@telerelay.com> on 2002/01/07 10:36:29 UTC

Nested tags

For the record:

I've been playing with Arron's nested tags for a while now, and they
seem OK to me. I've had the occasional "what the #$%#@" when something
didn't work as I expected, but after thinking about it the reason was
obvious. This situation occurs with most struts tags (for me, in any
case :P), so they do conform to struts standards ;)

tomK

Re: Nested tags

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Arron Bates wrote:

> Excuse the ignorance, but how will the multiple-servlet controller
> change the way JSP views work?...
> I could possibly imagine a change to the form tag, but that would be it
> wouldn't it?... (yes/no Craig?)
>
> There's been a couple of updates (one is related to the Resin "bug" that
> was just submitted. That was fun) some refactoring of the helper class
> to make it more generally usable for developers wanting to make their
> own nested tags. But it's still working as it should.
>
> ASF can still have it if they want it.
> I've finished the primer and a step-by-step tutorial which I want to cap
> off with a little extension to complete the training on the extension
> (always two there are). ASF want them too?...

Well, yeah :)

> I still haven't put a spiel out on the user list yet (Tom's done so a
> few times, and I've seen a post on jGuru :).
> I'll hold off if it's going to be committed.

Don't hold off, the more community you build around it first, the
better.

-- Building Java web applications with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/

Re: Nested tags

Posted by Arron Bates <ar...@keyboardmonkey.com>.

>>I could possibly imagine a change to the form tag, but that would be it
>>wouldn't it?... (yes/no Craig?)
>>
>I need to look more at this.

I only mentioned the form tag as I assume you will need to look up the
forwards & form beans for the action relative to the app/sub-app.

>If Resin is not implementing the spec correctly, I'm not interested in
>changing Struts to accomodate it.  And don't think I'm picking on just
>them - I wouldn't check in the workaround for WebSphere (which didn't
>allow deleting request attributes for a while) either.

That's just it. It's implementing it to the letter.
I wont have to tell you what tomcat does :)

>Personally, I really want to focus on the controller updates first ...
>then, I will look at nested tags.

Sweet.

Arron.

Re: Nested tags

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Arron Bates wrote:

> Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:33:55 +1100
> From: Arron Bates <ar...@keyboardmonkey.com>
> To: Struts Developers List <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Nested tags
>
> Excuse the ignorance, but how will the multiple-servlet controller
> change the way JSP views work?...

In theory, it shouldn't change anything at all.  You should be able to
take an existing Struts-based app (i.e. a struts-config.xml file and it's
associated resources) and have it run -- then take that app and make it a
subapp in some "multi-sub-app" environment, with zero changes.

The current approach (which looks the most promising from all the ones
I've tried) is based on the following principles:

* Single ActionServlet instance is still used to manage everything.

* Multiple independent struts-config.xml files (one per sub-app),
  with independent configuration of stuff that is currently set as
  servlet initialization parameters, and an application resources
  bundle per sub-app.

* Sub-applications are distinguished by having a unique prefix to the
  context relative portion of the URI (similar to the way that a
  servlet container distinguishes webapps based on the context path).
  Thus, you might have three subapps with context-relative paths that
  follow these patterns:
    /catalog/*              Product catalog
    /store/*                Shopping cart
    /*                      "Default" sub-app that is used
                            for all requests not matched to
                            another sub-app

* Servlet mappings to ActionServlet work one of two ways, depending
  which style you like:
  - For extension mapping, continue to use "*.do" or whatever as before.
  - For path mapping, you'll want to set up more than one sub-app
    relative path mapping:
      <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/catalog/do/*</url-pattern>
      </servlet-mapping>
      <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/store/do/*</url-pattern>
      </servlet-mapping>
      <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/do/*</url-pattern>
      </servlet-mapping>

* Paths that are automatically converted to context-relative today (like
  the "page" attribute on <html:link> are automatically converted to
  sub-app-relative paths instead.  A special attribute will be added so
  you can create ActionForward definitions that really are context
  relative (i.e. a menu that lets you switch sub-apps).

Doing all this has pretty significant impact on the internals of the
controller, but so far it only needs one very small tweak to the APIs that
a typical Struts application would use.  But, I'm not done yet ...

> I could possibly imagine a change to the form tag, but that would be it
> wouldn't it?... (yes/no Craig?)

I need to look more at this.

> There's been a couple of updates (one is related to the Resin "bug" that
> was just submitted. That was fun) some refactoring of the helper class
> to make it more generally usable for developers wanting to make their
> own nested tags. But it's still working as it should.

If Resin is not implementing the spec correctly, I'm not interested in
changing Struts to accomodate it.  And don't think I'm picking on just
them - I wouldn't check in the workaround for WebSphere (which didn't
allow deleting request attributes for a while) either.

> ASF can still have it if they want it.
> I've finished the primer and a step-by-step tutorial which I want to cap
> off with a little extension to complete the training on the extension
> (always two there are). ASF want them too?...
>
> I still haven't put a spiel out on the user list yet (Tom's done so a
> few times, and I've seen a post on jGuru :).
> I'll hold off if it's going to be committed.

Personally, I really want to focus on the controller updates first ...
then, I will look at nested tags.

> Arron.

Craig

Re: Nested tags

Posted by Arron Bates <ar...@keyboardmonkey.com>.

Re: Nested tags

Posted by David Winterfeldt <dw...@yahoo.com>.
I just wanted to comment that I did look at it a
little, run the examples, and look at the source.  It
seems nice, clean, and easy to use.  I haven't used it
in a project yet though.

David

Re: Nested tags

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.