Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Michael Wiedmann <mw...@miwie.in-berlin.de> on 2004/12/01 19:35:02 UTC

x:rssTicker fails

While playing with <x:rssTicker> I noticed some problems in accessing
some RSS newsfeeds which I tracked down so far in suspected failure
of parsing RSS contents of some sites, e.g. Heise News (one of the
most important german - computer an internet related - online news
sites) http://www.heise.de/newsticker/heise.rdf.

It looks like "loadNews()" in "HtmlRssTicker.java" fails at line #107
"this._channel = (Channel)_digester.parse(string);" (this is a call in
"org.apache.commons.digester.rss.RSSDigester") with a message
like "No connection to internet...".
This is definitely wrong because trying on the same system at the same
time accessing the RSS feed using an HTML browser (e.g. a recent
version of Firefox) displays the RSS XML data without any problems.

Can anybody verify this or even supply a workaround or at least
point me at the right place to "complain"?

Michael
PS:
--
mw@miwie.in-berlin.de                              http://www.miwie.org

RE: x:rssTicker fails

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Hi Michael,

> It might me a poblem of the RSS version this particularly RSS
> feeds uses (RDF simple 0.9).

Yes, I guess this is the problem.
I used Digester's RSS_example.

Now there is a better lib out on Apache,
that guy I will use inside of <x:rssTicker/>.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/feedparser/

might be better.

I will open a issue on our tracking-system on that.

Regards,
Matthias

Re: x:rssTicker fails

Posted by Michael Wiedmann <mw...@miwie.in-berlin.de>.
Oliver Rossmueller <ol...@tuxerra.com> wrote:

> it's just a shoot into the dark without having a look at the code but is
> it possible that you are behind a firewall and your browser is using the
> correct http proxy to access the web but the RSSTicker component is not
> and therefore can't get an internet connection?

Though this is exactly the detailed message I get from the component ("Are you
behind a firewall...") I doubt that this is correct. I don't use a proxy for
web access and can access other RSS feeds using <x:rssTicker>!

Re: x:rssTicker fails

Posted by Oliver Rossmueller <ol...@tuxerra.com>.
Michael,

it's just a shoot into the dark without having a look at the code but is
it possible that you are behind a firewall and your browser is using the
correct http proxy to access the web but the RSSTicker component is not
and therefore can't get an internet connection?

Oliver

--
Oliver Rossmueller
Software Engineer and IT-Consultant