Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com> on 2003/06/05 12:48:48 UTC

Re: [OT] Newbie Question:XML parsing

I'll third the recommendation to use Digester. I needed to parse an XML
file for the securityfilter project, and I had not done any XML parsing
before so I was expecting it to be a fair amount of work to do. Then I
recieved a contributed solution from a member of this list that used
Digester. It only took me a few minutes of looking at the code to understand
how it worked. Digester is great for the kind of config-file parsing that my
project needed. Here's a link to the class that uses Digester to parse the
securityfilter config file (see the loadConfig() method for the Digester
part):
http://tinyurl.com/dj54

Having struggled with some software that used XML for configuration but had
no DTD before (what the heck can I specify, and how?), I decided to write a
DTD for the config file for my project. I used XML Spy to create the DTD
pretty quickly, despite not having any experience with authoring DTDs
before. The DTD language has some annoying limitations (which seems to
explain why many projects/products don't use a DTD for their config files),
but I was able to come up with a DTD that worked for my needs. Now that I
had a DTD, Digester could validate it during the parse. Digester also allows
you (as the developer of the software that reads the XML file) to register a
local copy of the DTD for validation, rather than retrieving it from the
internet. You can also turn validation on or off, a feature you may want to
allow the users of your project to control.

-Max