Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org> on 2005/11/18 23:08:34 UTC

[m2] "mvn deploy" hangs if groupId contains a dot.

Version............. Maven 2.0
Client.............. Windows XP
Repository Server... Windows 2000 with cygwin for ssh.

I found when the groupId contains a "." the goal deploy will hang after
outputting the line during the second and subsequent deploys:
    [INFO] Retrieving previous build number from remote-repo

As an example, set the the groupId to "com.foo".  The first deploy will
succeed. Note the deploy will create a directory "com" and sub directory
"foo" instead of "com.foo".  The second deploy will hang.

According to the naming convention I found via a Google search (
http://maven.apache.org/reference/conventions.html ), the groupId and
artifactId  "should be comprised of lowercase letters, digits, and
hyphens only".

So my questions:
1) Should the convention be mentioned on the POM reference page where
the groupId and artifactId are described ?
   http://maven.apache.org/maven-model/maven.html

2) Is their a bug somewhere in the deploy goal that incorrectly
generates the directory structure when the groupId contains a "."?

3) If a "." in the groupId or artifactId is invalid, should this not be
reported as an error?

Paul Spencer

Re: [m2] "mvn deploy" hangs if groupId contains a dot.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 11/19/05, Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org> wrote:
> According to the naming convention I found via a Google search (
> http://maven.apache.org/reference/conventions.html ), the groupId and
> artifactId  "should be comprised of lowercase letters, digits, and
> hyphens only".

That's an old document that should be merged with this:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-naming-conventions.html

> So my questions:
> 1) Should the convention be mentioned on the POM reference page where
> the groupId and artifactId are described ?
>    http://maven.apache.org/maven-model/maven.html

Good idea.

> 2) Is their a bug somewhere in the deploy goal that incorrectly
> generates the directory structure when the groupId contains a "."?

Not that we know of. There have been issues with hanging, but didn't
think it related to '.' - but I'll investigate that avenue.

> 3) If a "." in the groupId or artifactId is invalid, should this not be
> reported as an error?

We do nee dto improve the validation of these elements, but '.' is
certainly not invalid.

- Brett