Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Dan at News Media Services <nm...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2020/05/26 16:42:10 UTC

MAC OS - Still cannot eliminate OO icon from Mac desktop when program running

Greetings,
Still trying to get the OO icon off of desktop when OO is running. Did not have an icon on desktop when I used Word.
Again, followed every detail of installing on Mac per  instructions of :
(Q03/AQ03)Tutorial] Mac FAQ Apache OO Community Forum  by MrProgrammer 6/27/17)

 •Waited for  Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg to finish loading.
•OO icon appeared on desktop.
•Dragged OO icon on desktop into Applications folder as per instructions: "Drag the OpenOffice.app icon on that screen into the Applications folder icon on that screen. Macs don't need an "install" program for this application."
(Please see screen shots of OO in Finder's Application Folder and in desktop Applications Folder).

•Clicked on OO icon to start OO. Program started running and could use.
                                        BUT ...
•Followed additional instructions: " Use File → Eject "OpenOffice" (the dmg file). Either delete the file with the dmg extension or put it in a safe place in the rare case that you want to reinstall it later without re-downloading. Sure about this?  If I deleted this .dmg file, then OO operating system no longer available.
•End result: OO gray icon remain on desktop, when program running. (Even though I initially dragged it into Applications Folder).
Thanks for any clarification from the Macintosh tech side. I can only hope that the posted instructions are correct and I somehow keep misunderstanding some salient point.

Good health to all.

Re: MAC OS - Still cannot eliminate OO icon from Mac desktop when program running

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
You are receiving emails because you have subscribed to this mailing list.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: MAC OS - Still cannot eliminate OO icon from Mac desktop when program running

Posted by Haim Giloh <gi...@gmail.com>.

_________________________________

Posted by Haim Giloh <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chuck Spalding <cs...@gmail.com>.
Dan,

Posted by Dan at News Media Services <nm...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
Quit OpenOffice.

Posted by Haim Giloh <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2020-05-26 4:44 p.m., David Belina wrote:
> Send your instructions to the UU site.  Their present instructions suggest all you have to do is drag the .dmg file to the App directory, not open and eventually extract the .app to the App directory.

What is the UU site??

Any installation instructions I've seen stated to open the OpenOffice.dmg file, then drag
OpenOffice.app to the Application folder.

The site the OP referred to stated that in their instruction.

--

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hello Haim Giloh,

Why do you think I have send the mail to you? The address is
users@openoffice.apache.org.

Do you know what the technology "Mailing List" does?

All the best

Peter

Posted by Haim Giloh <gi...@gmail.com>.