Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by otisg <ot...@ureach.com> on 2003/12/02 12:40:54 UTC

ActionMessages(s) & html:messages - no go

Hello,

I tried getting help on struts-user, but failed, so I am trying
my luck on -dev.  I am using Struts 1.1 final.

I am trying to use ActioMessage(s) + html:messages to display
error and non-error messages in the UI.

However, my html:message tag is showing only messages set by
the
validator, and not the messages that I am trying to set inside
an Action, like so:

  ActionMessages errors = new ActionMessages();
  errors.add(ActionMessages.GLOBAL_MESSAGE, new
ActionMessage("error.auth.failure"));
  saveMessages(request, errors);
  return mapping.findForward("failure");

In the JSP layer I use html:messages like this:

      <logic:messagesPresent>
          <c:out value="${error}"/>
      </logic:messagesPresent>

Am I using these two things incorrectly?

Any help will be appreciated.  I found example usage of
html:messages in a few Struts-related web pages, but none
described how it works when you set ActionMessage(s) in an
Action class.

If I replace 'ActionMessage(s)' with 'ActionError(s)' in the
Action (snippet above), then html:messages works just fine.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,
Otis