Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/06/27 04:01:09 UTC

Piping to external applications

[From community@: RE: WORA Considered Evil  ;-)]

> Java is the glue, let's glue it to what we have and trust... I believe
that
> 3 years ago, I asked him to do a mailet that could be an interface to
> "/usr/(lib|sbin)/sendmail", using Runtime.createProcess... After 2 years,
< that mailet didn't come up, and well, I decided to use EZMLM.

That is "before my time", but I will point out that we do have users who
have implemented anti-virus scanning in a similar manner.  The message is
written out to disk, and Runtime.exec() is used to launch the native
application.

ref: http://portale.praxis.it/pub/james/

I don't see why the same basic code couldn't be used for:

  <mailet match="..." class="PipeToExternal">
    [<passthrough>false</passthrough>]
  </mailet>

e.g.,

  <mailet match="..." class="PipeToExternal">
    <command>/usr/lib/sendmail -B7bit -f${sender} -- ${recipients}</command>
  </mailet>

This would not be a difficult, or even non-portable, construction.  One
question is what, if anything, to do with the output from the command.  What
did you have in mind?

	--- Noel