Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> on 2023/04/05 11:05:05 UTC

Upcoming Maven Resolver 1.9.8

Howdy,

The Resolver 1.9.8 is done:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MRESOLVER%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.9.8

If anyone has/knows/feels there is more to be done in 1.9.8, yell here
please.

Also, if anyone has free cycles, and this mail has no "more to be done"
response in 24h, feel free to release 1.9.8. Otherwise I will do it in the
2nd half of next week.

The 1.9.8 release should solve last "known issues" for Maven 3.9.x (azure
and locking timeouts), so it will be followed by Maven 3.9.2 release.

Thanks

Re: Upcoming Maven Resolver 1.9.8

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Howdy,

ok, then I see no other impediment for 1.9.8, release is about to happen
soon.

Thanks

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Upcoming Maven Resolver 1.9.8

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Eliotte,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

écrit :

> That's still a halfway measure. And we shouldn't move the public
> StringUtils package without a deprecation cycle anyway. This is public
> API that can be used in projects that are not part of this repo or the
> Apache Maven project. So I propose:
>
> 1. Keep StringUtils in deprecated form for now, to be removed later,
> possibly in a major version update.
> 2. Replace usages of StringUtils with JDK methods.
>
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 7:23 AM Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > I agree with you regarding duplication, this really adds "yet another"
> > StringUtils to classpath.
> >
> > OTOH, I do see a value to drop non trivial (by size) dependency for
> sparse
> > use.
> >
> > How about this proposal:
> > given un-deprecated StringUtils is used ONLY in (and below)
> > package org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl MOVE the StringUtils to this
> > package. So to say, make it resolver "internal thing", and not "offer" it
> > via org.eclipse.aether.util package to anyone. I know this would not
> > prevent use of it outside of the resolver, but if anyone uses it, he
> would
> > clearly violate [1] and is left "on his own".
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://maven.apache.org/resolver/api-compatibility.html#package-level-contracts

> > On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 1:13 PM Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@ibiblio.org
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm -1 on this release. I specifically disagree with the undeprecation
> > > of
> > >
> maven-resolver-util/src/main/java/org/eclipse/aether/util/StringUtils.java
> > > in https://github.com/apache/maven-resolver/pull/275
> > >
> > > We need fewer duplicate StringUtils classes in random packages, not
> > > more of them. If we don't want to depend on commons-lang3 then the use
> > > can be replaced with JDK methods rather than by introducing yet
> > > another StringUtils class.

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MRESOLVER%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.9.8

> here

> done"
> in
> > > the

> (azure

> > > --
> > > Elliotte Rusty Harold
> > > elharo@ibiblio.org

> Elliotte Rusty Harold
> elharo@ibiblio.org

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Upcoming Maven Resolver 1.9.8

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
That's still a halfway measure. And we shouldn't move the public
StringUtils package without a deprecation cycle anyway. This is public
API that can be used in projects that are not part of this repo or the
Apache Maven project. So I propose:

1. Keep StringUtils in deprecated form for now, to be removed later,
possibly in a major version update.
2. Replace usages of StringUtils with JDK methods.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 7:23 AM Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> wrote:

> I agree with you regarding duplication, this really adds "yet another"
> StringUtils to classpath.
>
> OTOH, I do see a value to drop non trivial (by size) dependency for sparse
> use.
>
> How about this proposal:
> given un-deprecated StringUtils is used ONLY in (and below)
> package org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl MOVE the StringUtils to this
> package. So to say, make it resolver "internal thing", and not "offer" it
> via org.eclipse.aether.util package to anyone. I know this would not
> prevent use of it outside of the resolver, but if anyone uses it, he would
> clearly violate [1] and is left "on his own".
>
> [1]
> https://maven.apache.org/resolver/api-compatibility.html#package-level-contracts

> On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 1:13 PM Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm -1 on this release. I specifically disagree with the undeprecation
> > of
> > maven-resolver-util/src/main/java/org/eclipse/aether/util/StringUtils.java
> > in https://github.com/apache/maven-resolver/pull/275
> >
> > We need fewer duplicate StringUtils classes in random packages, not
> > more of them. If we don't want to depend on commons-lang3 then the use
> > can be replaced with JDK methods rather than by introducing yet
> > another StringUtils class.
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 7:05 AM Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > The Resolver 1.9.8 is done:
> > >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MRESOLVER%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.9.8
> > >
> > > If anyone has/knows/feels there is more to be done in 1.9.8, yell here
> > > please.
> > >
> > > Also, if anyone has free cycles, and this mail has no "more to be done"
> > > response in 24h, feel free to release 1.9.8. Otherwise I will do it in
> > the
> > > 2nd half of next week.
> > >
> > > The 1.9.8 release should solve last "known issues" for Maven 3.9.x (azure
> > > and locking timeouts), so it will be followed by Maven 3.9.2 release.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Elliotte Rusty Harold
> > elharo@ibiblio.org

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Upcoming Maven Resolver 1.9.8

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
I'm -1 on this release. I specifically disagree with the undeprecation
of maven-resolver-util/src/main/java/org/eclipse/aether/util/StringUtils.java
in https://github.com/apache/maven-resolver/pull/275

We need fewer duplicate StringUtils classes in random packages, not
more of them. If we don't want to depend on commons-lang3 then the use
can be replaced with JDK methods rather than by introducing yet
another StringUtils class.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 7:05 AM Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> The Resolver 1.9.8 is done:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MRESOLVER%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.9.8
>
> If anyone has/knows/feels there is more to be done in 1.9.8, yell here
> please.
>
> Also, if anyone has free cycles, and this mail has no "more to be done"
> response in 24h, feel free to release 1.9.8. Otherwise I will do it in the
> 2nd half of next week.
>
> The 1.9.8 release should solve last "known issues" for Maven 3.9.x (azure
> and locking timeouts), so it will be followed by Maven 3.9.2 release.
>
> Thanks

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org