Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/26 04:32:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] Big Endian support in Arrow (was: Re: [Java] Supporting Big Endian)

I'm expanding the scope of this thread since it looks like work has also
started for making golang support BigEndian architectures.

I think as a community we should come to a consensus on whether we want to
support Big Endian architectures in general.  I don't think it is a good
outcome if some implementations accept PRs for Big Endian fixes and some
don't.

But maybe this is OK with others?

My current opinion on the matter is that we should support it under the
following conditions:

1.  As long as there is CI in place to catch regressions (right now I think
the CI is fairly unreliable?)
2.  No degradation in performance for little-endian architectures (verified
by additional micro benchmarks)
3.  Not a large amount of invasive code to distinguish between platforms.

Kazuaki Ishizaki I asked question previously, but could you give some data
points around:
1.  The current state of C++ support (how much code needed to change)?
2.  How many more PRs you expect to need for Java (and approximate size)?

I think this would help myself and others in the decision making process.

Thanks,
Micah

Re: [DISCUSS] Big Endian support in Arrow

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
Le 01/09/2020 à 23:26, Sutou Kouhei a écrit :

> Note that we need qemu-user-static 2.12 or later and
> binfmt-support 2.1.7 or later. Ubuntu 18.10 or later ships
> them.

Ah, unfortunately I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.

Regards

Antoine.

Re: [DISCUSS] Big Endian support in Arrow

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

In <4c...@python.org>
  "Re: [DISCUSS] Big Endian support in Arrow" on Tue, 1 Sep 2020 19:53:18 +0200,
  Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org> wrote:

> I don't know about debian-java, but when I try e.g. debian-cpp, it fails
> with the following error:
>
> $ ARCH=s390x docker-compose run --rm debian-cpp
> Building debian-cpp
> Step 1/7 : ARG arch=amd64
> Step 2/7 : FROM ${arch}/debian:10
> 10: Pulling from s390x/debian
> f2b199a6d9ad: Pull complete
> Digest:
> sha256:306d71cf97b70f08cd86f48c5dfdf2a4efbb901b1ac96f829bb4879a6ea94a2e
>  ---> 3d4e9be33cfe
> Step 3/7 : ENV DEBIAN_FRONTEND noninteractive
>  ---> Running in 2154fbbf1f11
> Removing intermediate container 2154fbbf1f11
>  ---> 4b87c2ffacbf
> Step 4/7 : RUN   echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports
> main" >     /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list
>  ---> Running in 313fbeae3132
> standard_init_linux.go:211: exec user process caused "exec format error"
> ERROR: Service 'debian-cpp' failed to build: The command '/bin/sh -c
> echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main" >
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list' returned a non-zero code: 1

Did you run this command on Ubuntu?
We need to install qemu-user-static (and binfmt-support
that is a recommended package of qemu-user-static) to run
this command.

Note that we need qemu-user-static 2.12 or later and
binfmt-support 2.1.7 or later. Ubuntu 18.10 or later ships
them.

kou

Re: [DISCUSS] Big Endian support in Arrow

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: [DISCUSS] Big Endian support in Arrow (was: Re: [Java] Supporting Big Endian)" on Sun, 30 Aug 2020 22:11:46 -0700,

Posted by Kazuaki Ishizaki <IS...@jp.ibm.com>.
Hi Micah,
Thank you. Your proposal also sounds reasonable to me.

Best Regards,
Kazuaki Ishizaki

<em...@gmail.com>

<we...@gmail.com>

<ja...@apache.org>

> > ARROW-245

> > jacques@apache.org>

was

u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_ARROW-2D245&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.
In case any one wants to comment further, I've opened
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/8374
<https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/8374#pullrequestreview-504324361> to
canonicalize the details.

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.

Le 22/09/2020 à 06:36, Micah Kornfield a écrit :
> I wanted to give this thread a bump, does the proposal I made below sound
> reasonable?

It does!

Regards

Antoine.

Posted by Fan Liya <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Micah,

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fan Liya <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Cutler <cu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
Le 31/08/2020 à 07:11, Jacques Nadeau a écrit :
> I didn't realize that Ishizaki isn't just proposing a BE platform support,
> he is proposing a new BE version of the format.

What do you mean?  The Endianness field (a Big|Little enum) was added 4
years ago:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-245

The format doc has the following wording:
"""
Serialized Schema metadata has an endianness field indicating endianness
of RecordBatches. Typically this is the endianness of the system where
the RecordBatch was generated.  [...] The reference implementation is
focused on Little Endian and provides tests for it. Eventually we may
provide automatic conversion via byte swapping.
"""

So here is how I read it:
* the format allows conveying big-endian as well as little-endian data
(since it's "typically the endianness of the system where the
RecordBatch was generated")
* the reference implementations may or may not choose to support reading
foreign endian data by byte swapping on reception

Regards

Antoine.

 In this situation computers

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
I didn't realize that Ishizaki isn't just proposing a BE platform support,
he is proposing a new BE version of the format. In this situation computers

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kazuaki Ishizaki <IS...@jp.ibm.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Kazuaki Ishizaki <IS...@jp.ibm.com>.
Hi Micah,
Thank you for expanding the scope for Big Endian support in Arrow. I am
glad to see this when I am back from one-week vacation.
I agree with this since we have just seen the kickoff of BE support in Go.

Hi Wes,
Thank you for your positive comments. We should carefully implement BE
support without performance overhead.

Let me respond to Micah's comments and questions.

> 1.  As long as there is CI in place to catch regressions (right now I
think the CI is fairly unreliable?)
I agree. While TravisCI on s390x are unreliable, each platform can set up
CI script.

> 2.  No degradation in performance for little-endian architectures
(verified by additional micro benchmarks)
Yes, we can do it. @kou suggested me to use the existing mechanism like
[1]. Now, it supports C++.We could expand this to other languages.

> 3.  Not a large amount of invasive code to distinguish between
platforms.
Yes, I will prepare the current holistic strategy for endian-independent
implementation in another mail.

> Kazuaki Ishizaki I asked question previously, but could you give some
data points around:
Sorry for the delay. I was waiting for comments during my one-week
vacation.

> 1.  The current state of C++ support (how much code needed to change)?
Except the parquet support, in C++, in my understanding [2] is the last PR
to support big-endian for intra-process and inter-process in C++.

> 2.  How many more PRs you expect to need for Java (and approximate
size)?
I have just submitted two PRs [5, 6] today to pass the current test using
“mvn install”. The total size of the four PRs [3, 4, 5, 6] are around
200 lines. In addition, I will submit another PR (~500 lines per
estimation) to pass integration test between different endians, which
corresponds to the PR [2] in C++.
For CI for Java, I submitted one draft PR [7] (~100 lines).

BTW, when I saw some test cases, I think that it would be good to increase
test coverage for little-endian and big-endian by adding test cases (e.g.
increase the types of a schema to be tested in flight-core like [8]). If
it is acceptable, we can submit more PRs regardless of endianness.

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/7940#issuecomment-672690540
[2] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/7507
[3] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/7942
[4] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/7944
[5] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/8056
[6] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/8057
[7] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/7938
[8] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/7555

Posted by Kazuaki Ishizaki <IS...@jp.ibm.com>.
Kazuaki Ishizaki, Ph.D., Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM), IBM
Research - Tokyo
ACM Distinguished Member - Apache Spark committer - IBM Academy of
Technology Member

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
hi Micah,