Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Li, Guangxing" <gu...@pearson.com> on 2016/10/31 16:50:19 UTC

Does securing C*'s CQL native interface (running on port 9042) automatically secure its Thrift API interface (running on port 9160)?

Hi,

I secured my C* cluster by having "authenticator:
org.apache.cassandra.auth.PasswordAuthenticator" in cassandra.yaml. I know
it secures the CQL native interface running on port 9042 because my code
uses such interface. Does this also secure the Thrift API interface running
on port 9160? I searched around the web for answers but could not find any.
I supposed I can write a sample application using Thrift API interface to
confirm it, but wondering if I can get a quick answer from you experts.

Thanks.

George.

Re: Does securing C*'s CQL native interface (running on port 9042) automatically secure its Thrift API interface (running on port 9160)?

Posted by Sam Tunnicliffe <sa...@beobal.com>.
It does, yes. Clients will be required to call the thrift login method with
a valid set of credentials before performing any other RPC calls.
btw, in versions of C* >= 2.2 the Thrift server is not enabled by default
(CASSANDRA-9319).