Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Maxime LUCE <Ma...@somatic.fr> on 2013/10/18 18:54:22 UTC

Windows 8.1 and other platform addition

Hi everyone,

As I said before, I'm working on the Windows 8.1 port of Cordova base on the Windows 8 one.
I sent an email with my first thoughts about the improvements we have to do and there are few.

In order to make platform addition easier in future, I created and resolved an issue on JIRA CB-5111 where I improve action-stack module in CLI to remove static platform check which makes cordova-cli more robust and more dynamic.

In order to develop on CLI and plugman I have to :

*         npm link both

*         use a custom registry to have all plugin up to date with the windows81 platform configuration

I found some problems in the platform addition workflow :

*         There is no doc to tell us how to develop on cordova-cli and plugman (on plugman repo, there is a paragraph about this, but I think we must provide one on cordova wiki or cordova-docs)

*         There is no doc about how to create a custom registry (we have to find in cordova-registry repo how it work and this a big waste of time)

*         Allow multiple registry in plugman would be a great improvement to help community plugins integration in plugman

*         Mobile-spec tests are only working for unix based OS, so it can work only for platforms we can develop on unix. (what about Windows Phone and Windows 8 ?)

I'm doing a lot of hacks to test my new platform on my computer which make me lose my time.
Someone has ideas ?

Cordialement.
----------------------------
Maxime LUCE
maxime@touchit.fr
06 28 60 72 34
http://touchit.fr

Re: Windows 8.1 and other platform addition

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Maxime LUCE <Ma...@somatic.fr> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> As I said before, I'm working on the Windows 8.1 port of Cordova base on
> the Windows 8 one.
> I sent an email with my first thoughts about the improvements we have to
> do and there are few.
>
> In order to make platform addition easier in future, I created and
> resolved an issue on JIRA CB-5111 where I improve action-stack module in
> CLI to remove static platform check which makes cordova-cli more robust and
> more dynamic.
>
> In order to develop on CLI and plugman I have to :
>
> *         npm link both
>
> *         use a custom registry to have all plugin up to date with the
> windows81 platform configuration

I think https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-5006 would address your
use-case. Hopefully someone can get to it soon...

> I found some problems in the platform addition workflow :
>
> *         There is no doc to tell us how to develop on cordova-cli and
> plugman (on plugman repo, there is a paragraph about this, but I think we
> must provide one on cordova wiki or cordova-docs)
>
> *         There is no doc about how to create a custom registry (we have
> to find in cordova-registry repo how it work and this a big waste of time)
>
> *         Allow multiple registry in plugman would be a great improvement
> to help community plugins integration in plugman
>
> *         Mobile-spec tests are only working for unix based OS, so it can
> work only for platforms we can develop on unix. (what about Windows Phone
> and Windows 8 ?)

What about it doesn't work on windows? Definitely bug-worthy if it's not
working.