Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/08 19:52:00 UTC

JMX-RI-1.2 problems

You may have noticed - tomcat doesn't work with JMX 1.2
The main problem is that the spec now requires the type to be
JNI-style ( [Ljava.lang.String; instead of java.lang.String[] ).
That would require a change in mbeans-descriptos.xml - but I'm
not sure if mx4j would still work after that.

There are also some additions and fixes in JMX1.2 we may need
( like sending the attribute change notifications to all listeners -
that works in jboss-jmx, but not in mx4j and jmx1.1-ri ).

Should we switch to ri-1.2 until MX4J finishes the update to
1.2 ?

The license seems more relaxed now - so we may be able to redistribute
it without problems. Obviously MX4J should be preffered for the
release.

Opinions ? Volunteers :-) ?

Costin

Re: JMX-RI-1.2 problems

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Amy Roh wrote:

> If you need new additions and fixes in JMX1.2, then switching to 1.2
> sounds
> good to me.  What other changes are needed to make it work with JMX1.2?  I
> can volunteer to make the changes (especially in mbeans-descriptors.xml)
> if you point me to the list of changes.

The build file and changing the [] seems to be all.

I'm not sure how to best deal with the download, and I assume few build
files or properties need to change.

Let me know if you see additional problems - I have it running ( but
I have a modified modeler and a lot of other changes in my ws ).

Costin

Re: JMX-RI-1.2 problems

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@apache.org>.
> You may have noticed - tomcat doesn't work with JMX 1.2
> The main problem is that the spec now requires the type to be
> JNI-style ( [Ljava.lang.String; instead of java.lang.String[] ).
> That would require a change in mbeans-descriptos.xml - but I'm
> not sure if mx4j would still work after that.
>
> There are also some additions and fixes in JMX1.2 we may need
> ( like sending the attribute change notifications to all listeners -
> that works in jboss-jmx, but not in mx4j and jmx1.1-ri ).
>
> Should we switch to ri-1.2 until MX4J finishes the update to
> 1.2 ?
>
> The license seems more relaxed now - so we may be able to redistribute
> it without problems. Obviously MX4J should be preffered for the
> release.

If you need new additions and fixes in JMX1.2, then switching to 1.2 sounds
good to me.  What other changes are needed to make it work with JMX1.2?  I
can volunteer to make the changes (especially in mbeans-descriptors.xml) if
you point me to the list of changes.

Amy

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: JMX-RI-1.2 problems

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> You may have noticed - tomcat doesn't work with JMX 1.2
> The main problem is that the spec now requires the type to be
> JNI-style ( [Ljava.lang.String; instead of java.lang.String[] ).
> That would require a change in mbeans-descriptos.xml - but I'm
> not sure if mx4j would still work after that.
>
> There are also some additions and fixes in JMX1.2 we may need
> ( like sending the attribute change notifications to all listeners -
> that works in jboss-jmx, but not in mx4j and jmx1.1-ri ).
>
> Should we switch to ri-1.2 until MX4J finishes the update to
> 1.2 ?
>
> The license seems more relaxed now - so we may be able to redistribute
> it without problems. Obviously MX4J should be preffered for the
> release.
>
> Opinions ? Volunteers :-) ?

That seems ok to me, but we should switch back to MX4J ASAP after that.
(but I don't have time to help these days, unfortunately)

Remy