Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/23 18:13:18 UTC

[vote] Move maven-runtime out of the sandbox and release 1.0-alpha-1

Hi there,

I'd like to move maven-runtime out of the sandbox and release 1.0-alpha-1:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/shared/maven-runtime/

Maven Runtime allows introspection of Maven project metadata at
runtime.  For example, MavenProject instances can be obtained for all
projects given a classloader, optionally sorted into dependency order.
 This is useful for tools wishing to utilise Maven metadata at
runtime.

Here's my +1.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [vote] Move maven-runtime out of the sandbox and release 1.0-alpha-1

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2008/4/30 Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>:
> Hi Olivier,
>
>  2008/4/30 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>:
>
> > Hi,
>  >  This component is very helpfull.
>  >  But I can't build it with jdk 1.4
>  >
>  >  [INFO] Compilation failure
>  >  /local/olamy/open-source/maven-svn/tags/maven-runtime-1.0-alpha-1/src/test/java/org/apache/maven/shared/runtime/MavenRuntimeVisitorUtilsTest.java:[29,-1]
>  >  cannot access org.easymock.EasyMock
>  >  bad class file:
>  >  /local/olamy/.m2/repository/org/easymock/easymock/2.2/easymock-2.2.jar(org/easymock/EasyMock.class)
>  >  class file has wrong version 49.0, should be 48.0
>  >
>  >  bash-3.00$ mvn -v
>  >  Maven version: 2.0.9
>  >  Java version: 1.4.2_15
>  >  OS name: "sunos" version: "5.10" arch: "sparc" Family: "unix"
>  >
>  >  And the class DelegatingClassLoader overrides Enumeration
>  >  getResources( String name ) which is final in 1.4.
>
>  Thanks for pointing that out.  I was quite tempted to move to 1.5
>  anyhow since the API would really benefit from generic Lists, so I'll
>  do that and call another vote.
>

>  >  The build is very long :
>  >
>  >  Running org.apache.maven.shared.runtime.DefaultMavenRuntimeTest
>  >  Tests run: 33, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 577.816 sec
>
>  Yes, sorry about that, it's because the tests invoke Maven repeatedly
>  on test projects to utilise the packaged jar.  I could avoid that by
>  directly committing the packaged jars to SVN, or by packaging them
>  once for the entire testcase.
>

>  >  And last but not least and again this component is very (very) helpfull :-).
>
>  Thanks :)  I'm curious as to what you use it for?

obtaining the "version" of a class.
In my company we have an application "à la" mvn which dynamically use
different version of modules (in our app modules is similar to plugins
in mvn).
And it's more easy with this component to display the real version to
the end user.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olivier,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Olivier

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
2008/5/1 Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>:
>  That might be the case, but it's something that we need to change. I've
> written docs for some of the shared components, and the shared parent now
> includes a site.xml including the necessary navigational and presentational
> aids.
>
>  In my opinion we should require a site for every release, even for shared
> components and for alpha releases. It doesn't have to be all that
> complicated - just include a short description and a basic usage example.
> See the site of the, not yet released, shared component doxia tools for an
> example. Its not much but it's better than nothing.
>
>   http://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-doxia-tools/

Okay, sure, I'll knock up some documentation before I call another vote.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Mark Hobson wrote:
> 2008/4/29 Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  >  4hrs to go.. anyone?
>>
>>  Does it have docs? How would I test it?
>
> It has Javadoc but no site doc.  I figured that since only a handful
> of shared components have site doc and that this is an alpha release
> it probably wasn't that imperative, correct me if I'm wrong.

That might be the case, but it's something that we need to change. I've
written docs for some of the shared components, and the shared parent
now includes a site.xml including the necessary navigational and
presentational aids.

In my opinion we should require a site for every release, even for
shared components and for alpha releases. It doesn't have to be all that
complicated - just include a short description and a basic usage
example. See the site of the, not yet released, shared component doxia
tools for an example. Its not much but it's better than nothing.

   http://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-doxia-tools/

> Take a look at the unit tests for some examples of usage, specifically
> DefaultMavenRuntimeTest.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [vote] Move maven-runtime out of the sandbox and release 1.0-alpha-1

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.