Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> on 2005/02/15 11:47:51 UTC

Experimental Win32 package from trunk/r13021

I've just uploaded an experimental Win32 package (svn-win32-r13021) to
the "Windows Dev" area. the changes from the latest released package are:

    * Apache modules moved from the httpd/ directory to the bin/
      directory. This means that all modules and required shared
      libraries are now in one directory; which in turn means that the
      Apache config on Win32 doesn't have to copy the modules around any
      more, but can load them straight out of the Subversion install area.
    * I've upgraded the the libintl library (intl.dll) from gettext-0.13
      to gettext-0.14.1 and renamed it to intl3_svn.dll, so that the
      name no longer conflicts with other installed intl.dll versions.
      The binary package and diff from the canonical GnuWin32
      gettext-0.14.1 sources is in the "Windows libint' area. Note that
      this version of intl.dll doesn't depend on libiconv.
    * The binaries are now linked against BDB-4.3.27, and the binary
      package for /that/ is in the "Windows BDB" area.

Of course all ra_local and ra_svn tests pass on Windows. :-)

The svn-win32-1.2.0 distro will have this layout, so I'm posting this
package to give the installer and others time to adapt.

-- Brane

Re: Experimental Win32 package from trunk/r13021

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <le...@gmail.com>.
(Sorry, sent to personal address by accident; resending to the list)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:29:16 +0100, Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> wrote:

> I really don't like this idea at all. Perl has a standard installation
> procedure for modules, and we should either follow that -- which means
> somebody has to do the work and write appropriate scripts -- or more or
> less stand by the original proposal.

The less intrusive thing, I think, is doing my original proposal, but
using perl/site/lib/SVN and perl/site/lib/auto/SVN (as Toby said)
instead of perl/SVN and perl/auto/SVN. This way we're not messing with
Perl installation, just moving things around a little on the
svn-win32-1.2.0_pl.zip, and making easier for a user to "use" the
modules.

Of course, having a PPM/PPD script would be nice, but that's a
different issue that we can tackle separatedly.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

Re: Experimental Win32 package from trunk/r13021

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Branko Čibej wrote:

> Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:13:34 -0500, Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I think it would be nice if all
>>> ActivePerl users could just "ppm install SVN" without having to worry
>>> too much about details of the packaging or even having to download the
>>> full Subversion win32 package.
>>>

>> As I've said, that is not difficult (after all, it's just a matter of
>> packaging), but it should be integrated with the build process, I
>> think. In other words, make'ing the perl bindings on a Windows
>> environment should try to package the PPM zip.
>>

> I agree. The whole idea of the packages is that the _pl.zip is
> entirely independent of any other Subversion binary package. This
> already holds of the _py.zip.
>
> Just note that whatever solution you come up with should not be
> specific to ActivePerl.

I will work on getting the PPD created in order to use with ActivePerl;
I agree with Juanma here that the vast majority of Perl users on Windows
use ActivePerl. The tools that install the module based on the PPD are
themselves Perl modules, so any other distro would be able to use it as
well.

Re: Experimental Win32 package from trunk/r13021

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <le...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:32:22 +0100, Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> wrote:

> Just note that whatever solution you come up with should not be specific
> to ActivePerl.

Well, on one hand, I don't have any measures, but I'd bet that 99% of
all Perl users on Windows platforms are using ActivePerl, as there
aren't that many binary packages around, so catering to that "minory"
shouldn't be a problem. A Perl user on Windows who's not using
ActivePerl probably is knowledgeable enough to move the files around
on his own.

OTOH, I'm not sure is easy to make a build process for the Perl
bindings that's shareable between ActivePerl and other Windows Perls.
AFAIK, the whole PPM/PPD issue is only used by ActivePerl (but I could
be wrong, PPD is in Open Sofware Description format,
http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-OSD).

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

Re: Experimental Win32 package from trunk/r13021

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Juanma Barranquero wrote:

>All in all, the perl/site/lib/SVN and perl/site/lib/auto/SVN dirs are
>the really important issue here (otherwise you end having to move
>quite a few things around); adopting that structure will be a net
>gain. I'm not too worried of being forced to move the SWIG .DLLs to
>bin/ from perl/bin.

I agree, that part is largely splitting hairs; my questions about
creating the PPD are a separate issue. I think it would be nice if all

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <le...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:56:31 -0500, Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us> wrote:

> Yes, that's what I'm proposing.

Yeah, I agree with you here. Great idea.

> I think they should go in svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/bin for the simple fact
> that they're perl binaries, not general Subversion binaries.

I think most people just does:

  C:\> unzip svn-win32-1.2.0*.zip

rather than taking the trouble of unzipping the Perl bindings into
C:\perl, the Python bindings on C:\Python\lib\site-packages, etc.

> Everything
> that the perl bindings need to work should be in one place, not
> scattered throughout the package. End users could move them wherever
> they want.

As I see it, you're proposing a directory structure based on the idea
of puting the perl bindings on some other place (even if it's a
reasonable place, which of course is), while I'm more onto making the
binding "Subversion-distribution-centered", so to speak. Neither one
is more "scattered" than the other. I don't like much the perl/bin
idea just because, as I've said, I try not to put things into
perl/site/ withouth PPM's knowledge. "ppm query" is non-useful for
such packages.

> Also, is it possible to install from a .PPD without first placing it in
> a repository? (PPM repository, that is).

Yes. With ExtUtils::MakeMaker and make_ppm.bat you can build a .ZIP
that contains three things: a README, a .PPD file and the archive that
contains the real files (usually a .tar.gz archive). You can just do:

  C:\temp> unzip svn-win32-1.2.0.zip
  C:\temp> ppm install svn-win32-1.2.0.ppd

et voilà. Of course, someone has to build the PPM package beforehand
(but it isn't difficult).

> Alternatively, are there any
> "third-party" PPM repositories that might accept a complete SVN package?

Not sure, but perhaps the Winnipeg folk
(http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer58)
would be willing. They already host the mod_perl binaries for
ActivePerl and quite a few other packages.

> (Or... does ActiveState accept contributions from third parties?) If

Not sure either.

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Juanma Barranquero wrote:

>svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/site/lib/SVN/*
>svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/site/lib/auto/SVN*

Yes, that's what I'm proposing.

>But I still would put the SWIG .DLLs just at
>svn-win32-1.2.0/bin (nicer if you're not going to mess with the
>ActivePerl installation, which I don't like doing w/o a .PPD to make
>PPM "understand" what's happening).

I think they should go in svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/bin for the simple fact
that they're perl binaries, not general Subversion binaries. Everything
that the perl bindings need to work should be in one place, not
scattered throughout the package. End users could move them wherever
they want.

Also, is it possible to install from a .PPD without first placing it in
a repository? (PPM repository, that is). Alternatively, are there any
"third-party" PPM repositories that might accept a complete SVN package?
(Or... does ActiveState accept contributions from third parties?) If
unknown, I could look into this a bit further.

Re: Experimental Win32 package from trunk/r13021

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <le...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:16:18 -0500, Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us> wrote:
> Instead of perl\SVN and perl\auto\SVN, I think this should be
> perl\site\lib\SVN and perl\site\lib\auto\SVN. I imagine most people will
> simply unpack into c:\ instead of having to mess with PERL5LIB.

That's more intrusive, IMHO. Going that rute, it would be posible to
use ExtUtils::MakeMaker, make_ppm, etc and do a SVN-X.YY.zip with a
SVN.ppd to install it, but that's overkill. What I'm proposing is
easier to use (just add the perl/ dir to PERL5LIB, or -I, or whatever)
and to update.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

Re: Experimental Win32 package from trunk/r13021

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Toby Johnson wrote:

> Instead of perl\SVN and perl\auto\SVN, I think this should be
> perl\site\lib\SVN and perl\site\lib\auto\SVN. I imagine most people
> will simply unpack into c:\ instead of having to mess with PERL5LIB.

Oh no. I definitely do not propose to assume a specific perl
installation layout.

> That way, you can also put libsvn_swig_perl-1.dll and swigpl.dll into
> perl\bin, which should also be on the user's PATH, and is the usual
> spot for DLLs required by Perl libs.

What we really need, then, is for someone to write an install script for
the perl modules that will move them to the right place.

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Juanma Barranquero wrote:

>>We don't have swigpl.dll at all, IIRC.
>>

>There is one at svn-win32-1.1.3_pl.zip, AFAICS.

Yes, but it doesn't get built on trunk, and neither does
liibsvn_swig_perl-1.dll. Whoever changed the build removed those files,
and they also managed to crfeate circular depenencies. I'll have to look
at the log to find out whodunnit.

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <le...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:45:01 +0100, Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> wrote:

> Well, I can't do that in the package. I'll put them in perl/SVN then.

I think I didn't make myself clear. I'm *not* proposing hardcoding any
path. Currently, svn-win32-1.1.3_pl.zip has:

svn-win32-1.1.3/README.txt
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/Base.pm
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/Client.pm
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/Core.pm
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/Delta.pm
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/Fs.pm
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/libsvn_swig_perl-1.dll
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/Ra.pm
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/Repos.pm
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/swigpl.dll
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/Wc.pm
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/_Client.dll
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/_Core.dll
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/_Delta.dll
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/_Fs.dll
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/_Ra.dll
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/_Repos.dll
svn-win32-1.1.3/perl/SVN/_Wc.dll

I'm proposing for 1.2.0:

svn-win32-1.2.0/README.txt
svn-win32-1.2.0/bin/
svn-win32-1.2.0/bin/libsvn_swig_perl-1.dll
svn-win32-1.2.0/bin/swigpl.dll
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/SVN/
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/SVN/Base.pm
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/SVN/Client.pm
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/SVN/Core.pm
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/SVN/Delta.pm
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/SVN/Fs.pm
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/SVN/Ra.pm
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/SVN/Repos.pm
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/SVN/Wc.pm
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Client/
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Client/_Client.dll
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Core/
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Core/_Core.dll
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Delta/
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Delta/_Delta.dll
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Fs/
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Fs/_Fs.dll
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Ra/
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Ra/_Ra.dll
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Repos/
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Repos/_Repos.dll
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Wc/
svn-win32-1.2.0/perl/auto/SVN/_Wc/_Wc.dll

ie, maintaining the relative paths, but the SWIG .DLLs are moved to
bin/ and the Perl .DLLs and .pm to a dir structure (under perl/) that
mimics the one preferred by ActivePerl. Obviously
svn-win32-1.2.0_pdb.zip should be changed accordingly.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Juanma Barranquero wrote:

>>Hm, it's not as simple as I thought. Where am I supposed to put
>>libsvn_swig_pl.dll in this layour?
>>

>Sorry, my fault.
>
>.DLLs (libsvn_swig_perl-1.dll and swigpl.dll) go to C:\svn\bin or equivalent.
>
>(I assume C:\svn\bin is in the path, or the command-line client cannot
>be executed...)

Well, I can't do that in the package. I'll put them in perl/SVN then. We

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Branko Čibej wrote:

> This is exactly the test I _didn't_ have in mind. :-) What I'm saying
> is that, e.g. _Wc.dll contains an explicit dependency on _Core.dll. So
> your test should be, e.g.,
>
>    perl -MSVN::Wc -s "1;"
>
> If that works, then Perl does the right sort of magic. I expect it
> will, but I don't know.

Your fears are correct; 'perl -MSVN::Core -s "1;"' works for me but the
above bombs with "the application has failed to start because _Core.dll
was not found".

Re: Experimental Win32 package from trunk/r13021

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Right. After all the debate, I uploaded a new version of
svn-win32-r13027_pl.zip, with the new layout for the per/ directory.
Somebody, please check if this actually works as advertised. I have a
nasty suspicion that it may not, because all the perl module .dlls
explicitly depend on _Core.dll, which is no longer in the same directory.

Well, test it,.and we'll see.

Branko Čibej wrote:

> I've just uploaded an experimental Win32 package (svn-win32-r13021) to
> the "Windows Dev" area. the changes from the latest released package are:
>
>    * Apache modules moved from the httpd/ directory to the bin/
>      directory. This means that all modules and required shared
>      libraries are now in one directory; which in turn means that the
>      Apache config on Win32 doesn't have to copy the modules around any
>      more, but can load them straight out of the Subversion install area.
>    * I've upgraded the the libintl library (intl.dll) from gettext-0.13
>      to gettext-0.14.1 and renamed it to intl3_svn.dll, so that the
>      name no longer conflicts with other installed intl.dll versions.
>      The binary package and diff from the canonical GnuWin32
>      gettext-0.14.1 sources is in the "Windows libint' area. Note that
>      this version of intl.dll doesn't depend on libiconv.
>    * The binaries are now linked against BDB-4.3.27, and the binary
>      package for /that/ is in the "Windows BDB" area.
>
> Of course all ra_local and ra_svn tests pass on Windows. :-)
>
> The svn-win32-1.2.0 distro will have this layout, so I'm posting this
> package to give the installer and others time to adapt.
>
> -- Brane

-- Brane