Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2008/06/26 07:15:46 UTC

[ANN] First Release of Apache Sling

Bringing Back the Fun

Sling is intended to bring back the fun to Java developers and make the
life of a web developer easier. It deals with the important task of
bringing your content into the web and providing a plattform to
manage/update the content. Underneath the covers Sling makes use of a
Java Content Repository (such as Apache Jackrabbit).

Sling is built into OSGi bundles and therefore benefits from all
advantages of OSGi. On the development side a scripting layer (using
Apache BSF) allows to use any scripting language with Sling (of course
you can use plain old Java, too). And on top of this, Sling helps in
developing an application in a RESTful way.

As the first web framework dedicated to JSR-170 Java Content
Repositories, Sling makes it very simple to implement simple
applications, while providing an enterprise-level framework for more
complex applications.

Apache Sling currently comes in four flavors:
- A standalone application (a jar containing everything to get started
with Sling)
- A web application (just drop this into your favorite web container)
- The full source package (interested in reading the source?)
- Maven Artifacts (available through the Apache Incubator Repository)

For more information, please visit the Apache Sling web site at
http://incubator.apache.org/sling.

or go directly to the download site at
http://incubator.apache.org/sling/site/downloads.cgi

The Apache Sling Community

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [ANN] First Release of Apache Sling

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Let me join in thanking everybody in making this come true.

Regards
Felix

Re: [ANN] First Release of Apache Sling

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 7:22 AM, Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com> wrote:
> ...But I am still waiting for the fun... what configuration do I have to
> set? Please give detailed instructions. Waiting...

Well, I'm sure we could add lots of useless configuration parameters
to Sling, there are enough examples out there to get inspiration from
;-)

Congrats everybody (and that includes our very helpful community) for
the first Sling release!

-Bertrand

Re: [ANN] First Release of Apache Sling

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
Congratulations!!

But I am still waiting for the fun... what configuration do I have to
set? Please give detailed instructions. Waiting...

No, just kidding ;-). You all did an awesome job with Sling! IMHO it
should get a top-level project asap!

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com

Re: [ANN] First Release of Apache Sling

Posted by Paul Noden <me...@nodster.co.uk>.
Congratulations to all,

It might be nice to diversify the readme as appropriate to the
artifact especially in regards to the "How to run this" section as
this contains generic discussion about building the source which is
not relevant to the webapp artifact..

Kind Regards,

Paul Noden

RE: [ANN] First Release of Apache Sling